Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cap'n,
    Do you think I can have one big piece made (cut and folded) like below, and then take it to my house and nail it up? It would have to be almost 18 feet before folding... Or I can have two 9-footers made and have one seam in the middle behind the gutter. I don't own a brake, nor do I want to rent one, and was just wondering if some of these siding wholesalers/outlets would actually bend and cut the stock for me. This is all new to me (again) and I'd like to avoid being laughed out of some siding shop.

Comment

I don't think there's many shops around that can break something almost 18' long. I do think that you can get two pieces of 12' facia trim to cover that front. Since it's usually a 1x8 (3/4 x 7 1/2) you'll have to razor knife off what you don't need. Make sure to check how far under the drip molding you can slip this in. Overlap it a couple inches and you're good on that. The ends should be handled as on piece items each. You may be able to purchase a 12" x24" piece from a siding shop. Here's the hokey part....if they won't cooperate, you can get a plain piece from Lowes or HD, cut it to shape and paint it yourself. By the way, good job on that drawing.

Comment

Finished the end pieces yesterday (11/3), sunny and 70 degrees!
        I bought a piece of Slate Gray aluminum stock that was 10 feet by 2 feet, it matched the existing color perfectly. I cut a 2'x2' piece off the end and cut it up into the two end pieces. I bent the 90 degrees angles by using wood clamps and 2x4's as seen in one of the pix below. I haven't nailed them yet as didn't have the right nails, so I just wedged them in there.
        Here's the eastern cap from the side and below.

Here's a view of the western cap before it went up.

And here it is up

And here's the next project, raking!

I now have the front facia left to do. It is just over 14 feet and I'll need to cut my remaining 8 foot stock piece in half the long way. Is there a way to bend that 90 degree angle with out renting a break for the day?

Comment

I'm pleased the weather's been cooperating with you, Umby. It's been a perfect fall, as attested by that last photo. Thanks for that. The ends came out really great, Umby! A very nice job all along. I really like your style....even the spacing pattern for the facia trim nails! Niceley done. As for braking any small amounts, most likely you could take your stock to a local siding supplier and they'd do it for you for a small sum (I would think!) Also, keep your eyes open for any siding jobs being done when you're on the road. Ask those guys if they'd give you a break....

Comment

That's a great idea! We're only talking about 14 feet in two pieces.
            Thanks.
            What type of nails should I be using? The ends caps nearly blew off in yesterday's (11/6) wind storm. BTW, I was in the attic all day yesterday putting cable into my two daughters' rooms. I could hear the wind howling outside and I could feel a decent draft at times coming and going.

Comment

Either aluminum or stainless. Aluminum ones are available colored to match the siding. They also have very small head diameters to tone down the visual...good to hear about that attic draft. Will sure pay off in eliminating ice dams and curled shingles. Since there was no (*&*^%$#) I take it the shingle job was unaffected by those strong winds. That's a good thing.

Comment

Well thanks to the several November gales we had, both my end caps got blown off. (I found one under the wheel of my neighbor's trailer, but undamaged.) So I picked up the gray colored aluminum nails you mentioned, thanks; and tacked them up. I cut my one big 2'x8' piece of aluminum stock in half creating two 1'x8' pieces; this will become the facia if I can find someone (or something) to brake them. I have not seen any siding crews lately and probbably won't until spring at this rate. As far as I am concerned the project is done for the year. But I'll get back to you if make any more progress. Do you think I could brake these two new pieces using a couple of 8 foot 2x4's and some clamps? Well I think I am almost done with the leaves, so if I have have one more nice weekend before the true winter hits, I might take a shot the roof.

Comment

The 2x4's would work, Umby. Especially if you hit the one edge with a saw to sharpen the edge to get a nice corner on the aluminum. A bunch of C clamps and you'll be fine. Don't feel bad about the wind catching that panel. I've seen whole boards go like a frisbee off of new $350,000 homes!
                  Take care. Time for the Christmas decorations to go up.....

Comment

That's a great idea! Maybe I'll just get one 8' 2x4 and rip it in half (long ways). Thanks again Cap'n. Regarding Christmas decorations, my wife told me the only decorations I am allowed to put up this year should be aluminum siding and gutters...

Comment

Did she menion what shape the siding panels and gutters HAVE to be in? Aluminum santa's, snowmen and reindeer would last a long time.

Comment

Ha!
                        Nothing like a yuletide loophole...

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        =