Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking Roof

We just got our first real rain since we bought this house. I saw some water damage on the ceiling in my master bathroom. I assumed the roof was leaking. I got in my attic to look, the roof itself appears to be in great shape. The wood looked good, I didn't see any leaks or water damage anywhere. There were two metal tubes that appeared to be made out of the same metal that heating ducts are made out of. They go from the roof and run down to the precise spot where the leak is happening. I'm assuming that it's just not water tight on the roof where they poke through. Any clue what these things are or do? The likely hood that this is my issue? The cost I'm going to have to incurr to address it? Of course while I was up there I didn't think to take pictures. So the pictures are me standing on a chair pointing a camera into the attic.

I'm gonna guess that the leak in your master bath is from your bath exhaust ducting, that's what the single duct looks like it could be. You'd need to trace back the other two ducts to see what they go to, probably a different bathroom. The vent on the outside of the roof could be leaking and water is running down the ducting and dropping off onto the ceiling. It could need to be caulked or it could of been installed wrong and the shingles don't overlap the vent flange, no way of knowing without seeing. Here's a link that shows how to install one, perhaps it will help in your repair.

If you live in a cold climate then those ducts should also be insulated to prevent condensation from forming and running back down into the fan in the winter time. Here's another link that'll show you how to insulate them.

To fix the leak at the roof vent shouldn't cost too much, call an experianced roofer in your area for the repair.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =