Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof or Chimny leaking

I heard water dripping! It was from the top of the window frame (not the wall). The window is close to my fireplace in my living room. I checked more carefully I also found the water dripping on the fire place floor from the fire place duct which is a metal pipe. There was some old and very mild stain directly above the fire place, the edge between the roof and the wall. I have a vaulted roof in my living room. I checked the basement also where I found some water leak directly bellow the fire place.

My assumption is the chimny is leaking due to very heavy rain last night.

Can anyone help me with a possible cause, location and best way to repair. What material I may possibly need? hwere to look for leak source? any illustrated webpage to see how a cimny is designed?

My house is about eight years old and I have never used my fireplace, it has never been used.

Thanks in advance!

Voyoager

I'm assuming that you don't have an attic or crawlspace above the living room ceiling. Is the chimney on an outside wall or does it run through the middle of the house?

If your chimney is in good shape, it shouldn't be possible for water to come down and get into the walls. As the house is only 8 years old, the chimney is probably not the problem.

If you can get a good view from the ground (maybe with binoculars?) check the area where the roof meets the chimney. Look for loose flashing or shingles that appear curled, broken or askew.

Comment

Originally posted by Bantik
      I'm assuming that you don't have an attic or crawlspace above the living room ceiling. Is the chimney on an outside wall or does it run through the middle of the house?
      You are right! I do not have an attic or crawl space and the chimney is on an outside wall.

If your chimney is in good shape, it shouldn't be possible for water to come down and get into the walls. As the house is only 8 years old, the chimney is probably not the problem.
      Well, although I agree with you but why would I have water in my chimney steel pipe? Coult it be that the metal covering on the top of the chimeny is somehow damaged and leaking?

If you can get a good view from the ground (maybe with binoculars?) check the area where the roof meets the chimney. Look for loose flashing or shingles that appear curled, broken or askew.
      I will see what I can do!

Thanks much,

Voyoager

Comment

Working...
      X
      =