Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stucco cracking on new home

Hello:

I just bought a new home...not being even remotely an expert on what to look for in new homes we (my wife and I) had the home inspected. The home basically "passed" inspection (no foundation problems, etc.). One thing the inspector noted was that an addition had been put onto the house and that there was some exterior stucco verticle cracking (hairline) along the connection points of the new addition. The inspector assured us this was no big deal since the cracking didn't extend into the foundation.

My question is whether anyone else has experienced this, whether I should be more concerned, and what can be done to repair the cracking.

Thanx,
    Chris

From what you describe on your post the crack (hairline) is at the point that basically two structures have been joined via an addition.
    Typically this is not an uncommon occurrence, a join like you are describing is almost impossible to make with stucco to a point that no cracking will occur.
    You have to think, that it may have been years between the original build and the addition so one stucco is going to be far more aged than the new one. Icing on a cake is much the same, If you ice a cake today , leave it a few years and then add more icing you will find that the two never adhere correctly.

Someone using the line "It's no big deal because it doesn't go to the foundation" is INCORRECT on one major point while stucco has no real structural strength and has little to do with any foundation other than it might be stuck to it, it is a big deal in regards to water penetration you must seal this crack as soon as you can to avoid any damaging water problems. In this type of situation water can and will seep in and insidiously destroy sheating and framing behind it.
    There are a few products you can get to easily and cheaply repair this from most hardware stores from clear silicone/caulks to stucco repair products.

I looked at a house with stucco that had small cracks left unrepaired over a period of three or so years, the stucco started to lift off the house as the water rotted the sheathing behind it. The repair cost the owners well into the thousands of dollars.

When the exterior (be it walls or roof of your house) is concerned you should always be vigilant and make sure there are no openings for water. Water is quiet, slow but very methodical in it's destruction of homes.

G L
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

pushkins,

You mentioned about an insidious leak getting into the stucco crack. How about THIS one: Years ago when I had a construction partner, we had to literally rebuild the side of a house! because of an insidious leak caused by the L-addition roof allowing water through (behind) the roof-to-side of house metal siding. The metal siding hid the damage. It first showed up on the sill of the house ontop the basement foundation. The entire sill, box sill (band joist) and basement ceiling joist ends rotted away. We had to jack up the house and splice in new joists with many giant bolts and new sill and box sill, and re-2 x 4 the walls, insulate, sheath and re use the siding. Then when WE got to that roof flashing (culprit) we used the step flashing method as to cut down on any chance of a top-to-bottom flashing leak, as solid flashing that rots out can do. Because she was such a nice lady and the mother of a nice female co-worker, we gave her a big bow window in place of the original regular one (out of our profits!) We got it on a closeout.
      Last edited by Phelps; 04-04-2006, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Phelps:

That was some leak, it must have been that way for years.

Some people think that "it's just a little water", problem is it's a little water whenever and everytime it rains and it doesn't dry out very fast in the walls.

Your story had a nice ending though, least it got caught before terminal damage happened.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =