Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How far up from the plate sill do you need to replace it?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far up from the plate sill do you need to replace it?

I've cut the stucco off of our 1920's craftsman home and found termites in the wood along the foundation. I propped the house up on jacks and tore the wood out. My question is, how far up do I need to replace those vertical supports that sit on the wood sitting horizontally on the foundation? I cut some of them off just 6 inches above the rot. Do I need to cut all the stucco off and replace them all the way up or can you put a 2x4 right in place where I cut the vertical supports and join them? Will the house fall over or no big deal?

Do I need to load a photo? Any experience on this one?

I think you are referring to the rim joist. I would replace the whole thing, but that's just me. I would prefer not to scab together that thing. Especially if it means only a slightly bigger patch job. The rim joist is load bearing, but I am not sure if you could bear the same load with two 2x4's. My first thought is that you wouldn't want to stack to 2x4's to make a regular 2x8 joist because of sheer forces and expansion/contraction, but then again, this isn't a regular joist... it's a rim joist... it would be supported every 16" by the floor joists, so I don't know. Maybe a framer in the forum could comment?

Comment

Thanks

Good words...I appreciate it. I ended up ripping out the side up to about five feet...stucco and all and am replacing the vertical framing 2x4s the whole way instead of trying to join shorter sections. Found more termite damage, too, so it was worth it.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =