Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chimney Leak

Hello,

Just in the past week I've noticed water dripping into my chimney. I've called a repair man, but wondered if anyone here may be able to enlighten me before he gets here. Any thoughts?

Warren

You say you noticed water dripping into the chimney, where exactly are you noticing this water from? What is the chimney used for, your furnace, waterheater. Or is this a fireplace chimney? Are you seeing it down in the basement along side the brick or into the fireplace hearth. Or are you seeing it around the brick up in the attic. The answer depends alot on the above questions.

Comment

chimney

The water is dripping inside the hearth where the wood burns. It has been a very wet summer with some horrendous pounding rain, but this is the first leak I've noticed.

The contractor, who did not scale onto the roof, offered to recaulk the chimney.

Had a new roof put on last year by this same contractor and he did not reflash around the chimney and was wondering if that may be the problem.

Thanks for your interest.

hate2haggle.com

Comment

You very easily could have a problem with the chimney flashing leaking by, in that case you'd definatly want that repaired. But, not having a chimney cap would also allow the rain to come straight down the flue. Do you have one installed on the top of the flue? Here's an example of a few different designs. You can probably buy one locally at a big box store.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =