Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about ladder brackets

Got the two new windows in for the family room. They went in without any significant problems EXCEPT having to work from a single extension ladder I'm five pounds too heavy for.

Now I have to finish the siding. Doing this job from a ladder is just nuts. I'd thought about scaffolding, but really can't afford to rent. A friend has a set of ladder brackets he's bought and never used: those triangular brackets that come in pairs that you attach to extension ladders and put a plank between.

I've searched the net for more information and can't find anything beyond simple sales pages and ads, nothing substantive.

Does anyone have any experience with them? Once the plank is up, how do climb your ladder to get on it?

- Bill in KC, MO
    Bill in Kansas City, MO

Measure with a micrometer
    Mark with a crayon
    Cut with an axe.

If you put the ladder jacks on the inside of the ladders, you can step onto them from either ladder. If the jacks are on the outside (which they will have to be when you get higher up), this cannot be done safely and you will need a third ladder. If you're five pounds heavy for an extension ladder, you'll need a very sturdy plank.

Comment

Originally posted by thedcdude View Post
      If you put the ladder jacks on the inside of the ladders, you can step onto them from either ladder. If the jacks are on the outside (which they will have to be when you get higher up), this cannot be done safely and you will need a third ladder. If you're five pounds heavy for an extension ladder, you'll need a very sturdy plank.
      My ladder's only rated for 200 pounds, and I fluctuate 2 or 3 pounds to either side of that. It's not THAT bad :P

In terms of my plank, I'll either sandwich a couple of 2 x 12s, or make a plank with a couple of 2 x 4s on edge with 3/4" plywood facings.
      Bill in Kansas City, MO

Measure with a micrometer
      Mark with a crayon
      Cut with an axe.

Comment

they make a sort of engineered plank for use as a scaffold. it's a laminate like plywood but has a weight rating.. try a standard lumberyard not a box place or look in the phonebook under scaffolding.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =