Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinyl siding....

Need to cover the barn. Existing cover is horizontal t&g (with the grooves facing up!). Many knotholes and other openings. Not a heated barn, but use a torpedo in the winter. What would you suggest I cover it with before the siding goes on? Tyvek? 1/2" foilfaced foam? Tar paper? Nothing? Something else? It's a 25 x 35 set in a hillside notch. THe 'basement' is a dirt floor. The main floor has aluminum framed sliding windows. Also a 10 x 10 sliding door on the main floor. Not looking for a balmy 76 degrees in there, but need to stop the wind and rain blowing through, as well as keeping SOME of the torpedo in.

You definatly don't wanna just side without installing a barrier first cause vinyl siding leaks and your boards would start to rot. A foam backer is desired cause it'll give you a smooth flat surface for your vinyl. Dow makes a few different foam board products that are approved as a weather resistant barrier so a house wrap overtop won't be necessary if installed per their WRB instructions. If you don't choose one of these types then you'd want to use a housewrap overtop of any other foam board product to ensure no moisture penetration.

Which one you choose will depend on how thick you wanna go. You'll need to measure how far your windows and doors protrude from the building to know. And I wouldn't use a foil faced type, I've heard the foil heats up too much and can mess with the vinyl. You'll also need to flash around your windows and doors appropriatly.

Here's a couple of links to tell you about the dow and the types approved as a WRB.

Up here in the north alot of homes that are resided in vinyl have their old aluminum siding removed, then Dows Blue Core fan fold is installed, then vinyl over that. I guess I'd call dow to find out if this is also approved as a water barrier. The website info about it doesn't seem consitatant to me. http://www.dow.com/PublishedLiteratu...romPage=GetDoc
    Last edited by kactuskid; 11-09-2006, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Insulation...

Thanks, Kactuskid for that info. Did look at the fan-fold and do like that. Will check at HD and Lowe's and see what they have. Good info. Thanks again.

Comment

I think the reason the fanfold is installed is cause it allows for moisture to escape and is not a WRB. I've always questioned the use of a WRB on the exterior when residing. On a house in the north where there is a vapor barrier facing the interior, installing a WRB foam on the outside would be the same as installing a double vapor barrier and not allowing a moisture exit. Course you have a barn with presumingly no vapor barrier on the interior. I'd verify this all with dow before using it though just to see what their explanation is, would be interesting. I think the more prudent way to go when removing original siding is to install a housewrap to keep air infiltration at bay, but for residing over existing siding the fanfold is what provides the smooth surface so the job doesn't turn out wavy.

Confusing at best, anyhow, here's an article that'll add to this confusion

Last edited by kactuskid; 11-14-2006, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the remarks about vinyl siding too--I have it on the back wall of my row house over what was once the "shed" that was turned into the kitchen. I have always had a bad feeling about it. Now I will do something about it.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =