Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• enclosing a chimney

I have a 60s bungalow with a brick chimney that's suffered damage from the old inefficient furnace. The brick in the upper 2 feet are disintegrating. The only use for the chimney is the water heater now. I need to do something with the chimney to:
    a) stop brick flakes from coming down into the downspouts and driveway, and
    b) make it look nicer.

The chimney goes down to the ground, so removing it is a big job. The bricks at the top could be removed and replaced but then I'd have to replace the top cap, too.

I saw another chimney near here once that had been boxed in -- it could have been painted plywood or something, for all I know -- with the metal pipe for the water heater coming through the top of it. Any ideas how this is done, what materials could be used (in Southern Ontario, so there IS winter here), etc.?

Thanks!

Perhaps you might consider utilizing the help of a mason. The brick's materials seem to be crumbling from the weather. My thoughts are that whomever owned the house prior used - used brick from another development or torn down house. Enclosing the chimney will only mask the problem. And if you sold the house and they wanted to use the chimney for a fireplace, they'd have problems and perhaps a fire. Depending upon the inside dimensions of the chimney, a way out of a metal liner is to use clay chimney inserts, rectangular or square inserts to make up the chimney inside.

Comment

Originally posted by ToolGal View Post
      I need to do something with the chimney to:
      a) stop brick flakes from coming down into the downspouts and driveway, and
      b) make it look nicer.

The chimney goes down to the ground, so removing it is a big job. The bricks at the top could be removed and replaced but then I'd have to replace the top cap, too.
      Your damage most likely is being caused by water intrusion at the top of your chimney. The best way to resolve this problem is to repair the brick work and then protect it. This would involve, as you've already learned, replacing the bricks at the top of the chimney, and installing a stainless steel or copper chimney crown cover and cap. The drip edge of the crown cover will keep water away from the vertical chimney surfaces. You can further protect the brick by applying a quality water repellant such as the Chimney Saver line of products. Attached is an example of a copper chimney crown cover and copper chimney cap.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =