Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large Ocean View Windows Leaking

Hello,
    I have a Large A-Fram home with an Ocean View in Ocean Park, WA. The Windows on the house are three tier on both sides of Center portion going up to the roof peak:

Top 32 x 32 Triangular
    Middle 48 x 96 Triangular
    Bottom 48 x 65 Triangular
    ****All 1" Double Pane Vinyl Windows made for high wind conditions

I have, in a rain storm with "wind", water leaking from the inside window frame and inside window jamb, from the upper part of the Bottom window. There is a T&G siding section in-between the middle windows and the bottom windows. I have made several visual inspections of this area between the middle and lower windows and can not find where the water might be forcing its way in with the wind. The water wants to collect at the upper outer window frame and then run down the outside of the window as well.

I was thinking, as well as replacing all the caulk in-between the middle and lower windows of also installing some kind of wood trim in-between the T&G verticle siding that is angled which would allow the water to drain off the upper part of the outside window.

?? Could the water be blowing into the middle window's sweat holes and then running down into the lower window's inside jamb?

?? Are there other areas of the window's frames that I ought to be checking?

how far up and what width is the flashing? The building paper should overlap the flashing to shed water that blows underneath the finish wall covering. vertical runs of flashing might be better with overlapping pieces installed from the bottom - up and overlapped. In between the two upper and lower portions, flashing butts up to the upper sill and overlaps the lower pieces so water is continually being shed and is not forced up under the other flashing pieces. Can you seal any areas where the windows were installed? E.G. the window gets installed from the outside against the sheathing and nailed against the sheathing and the inside jambs to the studs. The angle inside could be "foamed" to make a watertight seal.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =