Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage Moisture Problem

Garage Moisture Problem
    I am new to home repairs so this may be obvious to others and I appologize.

The problem is as follows:
    First off, I live in Torrance, CA where the weather goes from 65-75*F during the day to 40-60*F at night. I have a 20' by 23' one story garage with exposed interior wall studs, no dry wall or insulation. The attic is also exposed, no dry wall, etc. I am having a problem with my tools, car parts and everything else metal rusting literally overnight. I will put a tool in there today and it is rusty tomorrow. I think the problem is that there are absolutely no vents of any sort in this garage. I beleive that during the day, the garage reaches temperatures of 75 degrees F and while the doors are all closed, it maintains that heat. Then at night the temperature outside drops to 50 degrees which causes a lot of moisture to develope in the air inside the garage. So my first instinct is to add two small vents about a foot from ground level on opposite sides of the garage and two at the top point of the garage. Will this cure my problem because this is getting very expensive to replace rusty tools and polish parts. Thanks
    Last edited by Doctorsmack03; 02-10-2007, 12:51 AM.

hard to say that adding vents will cure the problem, but it can't hurt! as it seems now there is no air movement within the garage. adding vents may help in that you won't be trapping the warm air inside the structure. the tools are cool so they develop moisture (condensation) when the temperatures go down. can you spray wd-40 on them once in a while? this may help a little.

Comment

moisture

I appreciate the response. Maybe being that it is such a small garage I will do the vents and then add a small electric heater to keep the temperature at a steady 60 degrees or more at all times. That should help right?
      Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X
      =