Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roof repair question

Hi, first time home owner here....got a question about roof repair...

We've had extreme snow and ice here in ohio for the past month and a half, and coinciding with that has been a yellowish liquid running down my brick furnace chimney...it started about the time the snow started sticking to the roof

so i got a step ladder today and went up in the attic to have a look, it appears there is some water leaking through in a few spots where it looks like the subroof boards have cracked and lost a piece of wood here and there...

a little background - we had a bad hail storm here last summer and the seller refused to get his insurance company to check out the roof, and i did'nt get up in the attic before i bought - he did give me $600 tho for any repairs i might need

so anyway, many of the boards up there are damp slightly, which i think is just from the snow sitting up there for so long - most don't appear to have any rot or anything

but in a couple of places near the chimney the wood looks like it hasnt been in good shape for awhile, and is letting some water through which drips down the chimney, and it looks like a few sections of wood will need to be replaced, as well as the rafter which runs down that section of roof

is it common to require these kinds of patches and perhaps the odd rafter replacement when getting a new roof? The roof is just about is about 12 years old so is definitely coming up in its replacement, and the hail probably made it about time to get the roof done...

how much do these types of repairs add to the cost? My house is very small, about 690 sq ft., and roof space is pretty minimal
    Last edited by Salvatorparadise; 02-18-2007, 06:45 PM.

I'm wondering what the contractor used for a chimney to roof flashing. The yellow-ish stains is the pitch and sap from the wood running down the chimney. With snow and ice standing on your roof, what heat excapes to the attic is melting a small layer and is wicking itself up under the shingles to the sheathing and dripping down the rafters as a stain. Houses that I've seen on HGTV are now using an adhesive backed aluminum flashing that stick to the sheathing and partly to the chimney. The rest is silicone sealed. Quite frankly I feel after time the silicone loses grip and leaks. The old style lead sheeting is the best. You can form it easily and when you pound it into the chimney block or brick, it stays there!

Comment

roof chimney repair question

Another thing to inspect for damage is the masonry crown of your brick chimney. The porous nature of the masonry material draws water in, which then freezes in cold temperatures. After enough freeze-thaw cycles, the crowning will crack and allow water down into your chimney. A good solution to regularly rebuilding the chimney crown is to install a chimney crown cover made of copper or stainless steel. Here is an example attached. Using this type of application is a one-time solution to water leaks at the top of the chimney.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =