Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Main beam dry rot

I am looking at purchasing a new house, and the inspector noticed some dry rot on the main beam for the house. Ours is located in a crawl space. This house is also located in northern South Carolina.

The main beam is constructed of two 2x10's in the center, and then there are 2x2's nailed to the bottom of the beam. The 2x8 floor joists rest on top of the 2x2's. It was built this way orginally, and has never been modified.

The inspected for dry rot about 3/4" in the center of the beam, and over roughly a 15 foot length.

How serious is this dry rot? What are the options for having it repaired? Can I have some additional 2x10's attached to the beam to strengthen it? Maybe some type of resin/epoxy (It might be hard to apply since its upside down and you'd be fighting gravity.)

I've attached a picture. Please visit the link below to see it. The area that you can seel good is where the inspector chipped away at it to see how bad it was. Thank you for any information anyone can provide!

I saw your picture and really this one's got me stumped! First of all the built up beam is not an engineered beam so I have no idea what the loading would be. Engineered beams made up of osb and plywood and epoxy resins with plates of 1X2s do have a load carrying specification - almost like floor trusses. My dad has a liquid called penetrol which when applied to dryrot made the wood resilient again. I wouldn't nail into it but it did provide some support again. Dryrot is the absence of or ability to retain moisture. I saw something on the home tv network where they jacked up a house using lally columns - removed a beam and installed an engineered beam. maybe you'd consider doing this. Expense?? I couldn't even guess.

Comment

I agree that its odd. I asked the home inspector about it, and he said that is how typical main beams are built down here. It can't be much of a main beam for load capacity if its not even a beam, but some 2x10's put together.

What is your opinion on the dry rot? Does the amount of dry rot warrant replacement/repair, or is 3/4" not going to hurt anything?

I'm going to ask the home owners to have a couple GC's come out and look at it and give their professional opinion. I'm just trying to get some other opinions. I only plan to live in this house for a couple of years, so I don't want to have a huge headache when I go to sell it....

Thanks!

Comment

most dry rot conditions warrant replacing the whole beam. the dry rot is the weakest link in the structure. some lintels are made on site using a 2X12 and two 2X6 with 1/2 inch plywood glued in between. a solid beam would be ideal but the joists adjacent would need joist hangers into the main beam.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =