Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing existing windows...

Three more windows to go, and I need some info. I hope I get the terminology right: The three that are left are double-hung, with wood sashes. The sashes run in two course metal track, connected on each side by a 1/2" metal ribbon to a spring-loaded mechanism above the top board. I believe they were installed sometime around 1954-1956.

I did one over the weekend and it took me nearly two hours to get the pieces gone - much of that time was spent removing exterior trim that my uncle installed using gigantic nails, but still!

With the interior trim gone, I removed the small screws that held the metal track to the side boards and wiggled the sashes out enough that I could cut the metal ribbon and set the sashes aside. That left me with two side boards, a top board above which were the left and right spring mechanisms, and a stool at the bottom fully 1-1/2" thick! Removing the rest of the pieces took quite a while and did plenty of damage inside the room.

How does one go about removing those old windows quickly, and without completely destroying the interior drywall (especially at the top)?

Thanks!

- Bill in KC
    Bill in Kansas City, MO

Measure with a micrometer
    Mark with a crayon
    Cut with an axe.

if there's spaces along the casings (where the windows meet the 2X4 uprights, use a metal saw on a sawz-all and cut the screws. go all around the window (the lintel and the stool) should be able to push out the window.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =