Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof peak vent leaking?

Good afternoon--
    We have a 28x56 double wide trailer with an added room on the side. The add-on has a peak vent that runs about 10 feet in the center of the roof. During rain storms with a lot of wind lately we notice some water running through the original outside window of the mobile. Could this be coming from the vent, or possibly from the connection to the mobile roof??
    Thanks for any help or advice.
    Regards,
    John & Sue Thaxter

the roof vent has nothing to do with the windows. its purpose is to vent the attic heat out the ridge. The soffits on the overhang are coupled to the ridge vent through plastic foam troughs between the rafters. I almost think that during a hard driving rain that there is a negative pressure inside of the mobile home, so that water could infiltrate the home. if your window's weather stripping is in good shape then it shouldn't be a problem. check it out!

Comment

Thanks for the response Hayzee. I don't think I made my question clear. The add-on is attached to what was originally the exterior wall of the mobile, so the window that leaks is someplace near the center of the added room in kind of an 'L' shape or maybe 'T'. It was originally an exterior window, but now is just there in the middle of the wall. The added roof overlaps the "roof over" on the mobile. The whole roof is of questionable construction, and looks to have been done on the cheap.
      I hope this might be a little more clear, and it could be that the leak is from the overlapping portion of the roof.
      Thanks again,
      John & Sue

Comment

In this case I would investigate the flashing that is between the old house and new house connection. Mobile home construction - even double wides have vinyl or metal siding. when the addition was put on, there could be a ledger board that runs the whole length of the original to the new section. If "they" didn't remove the siding right down to the sheathing and attach the ledger board here could be your problem. if this is the case its a little late to make corrections. but you may be able to fix it. where the siding meets the new roof line, cut the siding with a utility knife about a foot above the roof and also the roof about a foot from the old wall. now use aluminum flashing, aluminum faced rubber self adhesive flashing the whole length of the section. apply to the roof first, then use progressive layers working towards the old house section with about a three inch reveal. when you get to the house form a nice ninety degree bend and work your way up the wall about eight inches. so here you are with a nice shiny new flashing. on the old section install some siding so it overlaps the flashing almost to the roofline. On the roof part use a non hardening roofing compound and slather it on the joint. if you feel more comfortable using silicone use it. leave the flashing exposed you don't want to be putting holes through this flashing or you'll cause more problems.

Comment

Thank you very much Hayzee. I'll look into your ideas for a solution. I prefer not to use silicone since it is so hard to remove for replacement, but will check into the rest of the fix.
          Thanks again,
          John & Sue

Comment

Re:

I always prefer using Clay Roofing Tiles for my roof. Since it lasts many years. I use to get the services from rangerroofingok.com

Comment

Working...
            X
            =