Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window caulking for a dummy...

I have a home with windows put in around 1980. Since then I'm not sure if the window has been recaulked or not, but the caulking most definetly needs to be redone. It's cracked, shrunk and such. My question is, removing the old caulking and doing it myself, can it be done and while doing it should a spray foam insulate or just replace the windows?

Sure this is a job you can do...I would not use the expanding foam insulation because I have seen this expand so much as to make a door or window imposible to open after.
    If the gap is large I would get regular building insulation and use a thin tool or wood shingle to jam pieces of this in as far as I could or if a small gap get some foam rope, found in different sizes sold for doors, and jam this in.
    While calking have a bucket of water handy and put your calk in gap...Do whole window then wet your finger and smooth out...taking exess off your finger, with paper towel and rewetting it as required.
    Makes a nice neat job...the key is the wet finger...
    Gerry

Comment

this kinda depends on what caulking you are speaking of. the term caulking refers to putting in a compound that is flexible through a tube or by using a putty knife into voids around a door jamb or window finish moulding. a lot of people call the window glazing "caulking." if this window "caulking" is what you are referring to then the old stuff has to be removed and re-installed or "re-glazing." A propane torch can be used to soften the old glazing and with a putty knife removed down to the wood aand glass surface. New DAP glazing compound is then put in. Some newer places have a window glaze in a tube with an angled tip to apply.

Comment

This is true Hayzee but I assumed that the relation between the insulation problem and the calking was a problem around the frame and not the glazeing around the actual panes of glass.
        AS THEY SAY IF YOU ASSUME YOU MAKE AN A** OUT OF YOU AN ME.
        Gerry

Comment

well I've seen the term caulking used in all areas including window glazing - [ which is the proper term] they speak of spray foam and [insulate] this to me is what you suspected - window casing/molding [insulation behind it.] I agree to use a minimal expanding foam - or pieces of fiberglass but not shoved in tight!

Comment

I stand corrected, as I have heard the term used for glazing also.
            Anyway I hope we answered courier's question.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =