Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get plywood sheating onto 2nd story roof

I am considering doing a complete re-roof myself including replacing all existing 3/8 sheathing. What options are there for getting the sheathing onto the roof? What do the pros do? It's a 2 story @ 19 feet to the eave on the front of the house. Do lumber companies do rooftop deliveries of plywood like they do shingles? My idea was to create a temporary storage bracket or use roofing jacks and strap down the plywood in 2 piles on one side of the roof.

What is the recommended sheathing thickness?

my roof sheathing is tongue n groove 3/4" or 5/8" I use clips to allow for expansion between the sheathing. while there is no easy way to get the sheathing up there it is possible with two people. use an extension ladder and slide each piece up ahead of you. at the roof take it from the ladder guy and stack them. I made a hoist using a block n tackle and a cart I made that would slide along two 2X24's with two pieces of sheathing on it. the roof guy would take the pieces off the sled and send it back down.

Comment

You should be using 1/2" roof sheathing not 3/8. 1/2" OSB is as good as you will need. If your trusses or rafters are 24" on center then you must use "sheathing clips"...."h" clips in between each truss/rafter space. Standard 16" on center trusses or rafters do not require "h" clips. The clips are not for expansion so much as they are for keeping the two sheets together at the same level over a 24" space.

Very few companies will lift anything to a roof because of liability reasons.
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =