Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Install Gable Vents -Yes or No

I have 4 roof vents on my house and I have planned on installing Gable Vents at each end of the Gable,but in reading several other peoples concerns with Ridge vents and Roof vents it gives me concern if I would be doing the wrong thing and that the gable vents would almost reverse the action the the roof vents do. I have read that the roof vents (when the air is moving) create a low pressure and almost draw the hot air out of the attic. Question- will the Gable Vents be unhelpfull and cause a negative action. I am so mixed up on what to do that I have put off putting in the Gable Vents till I have an answer from someone who can give me a Yes = do it OR a NO don't Do It.

You can ask that very same question from 100 people and get a 75/25 split.
    For my money I'd never install both ridge or roof vents and gable vents on the same roof space. Ridge vents and roof vents (provided the roof vent is high on the roof) with correct soffit venting act like a chimney, drawing cool air in through the soffit forcing the hot air out the vents giving the air "direction".
    When you add in a gable vent that can also be effected by outside wind the air inside the attic becomes "unstable" this means that it has no direction, most evident when you use a smoke stick, the smoke tumbles over itself inside the attic. When you use the same smoke stick in an attic with soffit and ridge vents only the smoke streams upward to wards the vents.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

go with the roof vents and forget about the gable vents. with the soffit/roof vent as already stated you have a hot air rising effect like a chimney.

Comment

Thanks for the answer. I feel you have given me advice that I have been expecting. I sure am glad I asked before installing the Gable Vents. This Fourm is so helpful that words alone can not express my Thanks. Have a Great Weekend

Comment

Working...
        X
        =