Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Storm Windows, replace with screen?

My windows are fairly new. Not sure when the previous owner had them installed but they are vinyl sliding double hung. They can tilt inside for cleaning, etc.

I also have original (1954) single pane storm windows. These are metal framed, they also slide up and down and are double hung. The screens are original and only cover 1 sash. I doubt this single pane gives us any energy savings, they are not sealed well along the opening and in fact, insects find their way in durring summer when we have the windows open (they creep between the screen and single pane sash.

This is what I want to do...
    Keep my current windows as is, get rid of the old screens and storm windows. Replace this with a full size screen covering the entire window area, something that we could leave on all year (durring winter) if we want.

Does this sound like a good idea, what would you recommend?

Where can I get custom sized screens and how would they be secured in place. Can I make my own? Tutorial?

Thanks

Dan

What I did

We bought a house 2 years ago with no shade whatsoever from the afternoon sun. I went to Menards and bought a kit where you can make your own screens. At Walmart I found solar screen and made my own screens. I put them over the windows and the solar screen really helps in lowering the temps. You have quite a choice in what screen you use(cheap stuff,better stuff,pet proof,etc.)that you can spend what you want. I use doublesided foam tape(3M)to attach them to the outside of the window and come fall I just pull the screens off and store them. I use the tape because I didn't want to drill a hole in the window frame. It works pretty slick.

Comment

Thanks, so they have a kit at Menards to build your own screens? Is it just the frame pieces that you cut to size? Easy to do and looks good?

I have never heard of solar screens, sounds like that is what I need since we cannot afford to run our central AC in summer. I ran it a few times last year for about 2 days and our electric bill went from $60 to $130! I couldn't believe it.

I would be concerned with using double sided tape though, that stuff is extremely strong once it is set. Usually when you pull it apart is leaves the foam and never comes off cleanly.

Comment

Here's where to look

If you go to Menards they will have the kit,screen,tools all in the same section. The spline that you need comes in the framing kit. I wanted a solar screen but Menards didn't sell that. I was looking in Walmart and lo and behold they have what is called "Solar Screen". It blocks out a good percentage of the sun and heat and it works very good. The 3M doublesided tape that I use is not the foam tape. I was wrong on that. It's made by 3M but it's use if for outdoor use. You can usually find it at O'Reilly's or Autozone. Unlike the foam tape this tape will come off in one peice. The color of the tape is gray with a red plastic backing.

Comment

Oh, very good. Thanks for your tips.

About how long did 1 screen take to make?

I am definitely going to do what you did and get those old storm windows out of there.

Comment

Not long

When you get the kit you just measure what size you need and cut the frame to that size. Remember to allow for the 4 plastic corner peices that you will use. Cut the screen with about 2 inch overhang and start pushing the spline in. I was surprised how tight the screen will get when your working on the last spline. It usually took me 30 mins to do a screen. The solar screen is a little bit more difficult to work with because it's thicker. But it does a great job of cooling things down. The dark screen will blend in real well with the windows. You won't even notice them.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =