Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pricing for New Doors

Well my house got broke into and my Sony PS3 and XBox 360 were stolen. It could have been a lot worse. So my back door was kicked in and I have gotten a couple of prices. The price includes a new screen door in the front and a new metal insulated door in the rear. Both quotes I received are about the same amount $1,200 installed for both doors. This includes a white storm door and a insulated metal 9 lite w/ external grid and painted one color on both sides. Install both doors and all trim. New Hardware.

Since a insulated metal door at Home Depot is $199.00 I kinda feel like I'm getting robbed. Anyone have any incite as to why it cost $1,200 dollars? Am I getting robbed? Why are metal doors at home depot only 200 bucks?

Thanks

I would ask the two people bidding on the job, to break down their bids to include the door prices, cost of materials and their labor. So you have some basis to determine if you are getting good value for the price.

If someone kicked in your door, I would make sure that the door is a solid door, you have good locks/deadbolts and that the door jamb is reinforced. The most secure door will not do much good, if the locks and jamb is not equal to the task of preventing someone from kicking it in.

Dale

Comment

Ditto-

I just did my front door this past spring - changed from a double door to a single with windows on either side - with all new frame and trim, sealant, caulk and paint and it was only $450 for parts.

Took me and a friend 5 hours but this was our first time at doing an entire front exterior door - frame and all.

Comment

door prices

I'd just ask the contractors to really break down their costs. We recently had the door jamp around our back door reinforced by a handyman so that the door can't be kicked in (a few robberies in the area) -- and the total bill was $65. He added wood and long screws to keep it in place. Nothing fancy, but it worked. We had previously purchased a steel door (basic from Home Depot) and I think the door plus installation (which took some configuring because it's an old house) was about $600. ($250 of that was for the door, I think). Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =