Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caring for Cedar siding

I bought my current house about 3 years ago and it is my first house with cedar siding. I haven't done anything to the siding (cedar shakes) since buying it. I have a deck that wraps two sides of my house and I have noticed for a long time that while cleaning the deck (water only with a pressure washer) that is I get water on the siding that the water running off of the shakes turns to a light brown. And over time the shakes tend to look weathered and lighter in color. This is mainly around the bottom row of shakes since the water typically gets on them being that the deck is where I'm cleaning. I'm trying to understand what is being washed out of the shakes so I can reapply it and maintain them better. I can't imagine it is paint. The shakes are thinck and seem very pourous. I didn't think stain would wash off like this. Is this the stain being rinced out of the shakes or is there another type of product you can apply to shakes that would behave in this manner when rinced with water? I'm puzzled. Does anyone have some ideas what this might be leaching from the shakes?

just the natural oils from the wood. shakes are split red cedar which is an oily wood anyway. the sun bleaches out and dries out the wood so any water getting on them just bleaches them more. min wax makes an oil based stain which you could match to the base wood finish. a solvent based stain will soak right into the wood grain fibers and be somewhat water resistant but if left alone will bleach out again. this is something you really can't get around.

Comment

Interresting... I guess that explains why the sides and areas of the house where the rain and sun has the most exposure look like this. Now these "weathered" areas look to be a lighter color. IIt looks like the shakes are blonde/yellowish in color with streaks of dark brown. I'm guessing that since the other areas which are not exposed as much to the weather (I have very wide overhangs) may still contain most of these natural olis.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =