Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desperate need for advice

Back in May, we had water damages done to the corner of our basement (long story .. lets just say the insurance company isn't going to cover a new basement).

After all the drywall and barnboards were removed from the basement, it was soon realized that the basement has been detiorating for years and is about to collaspe. Not just 1 wall, all 4 walls.

We've been on a waiting list since May to have a new basement and here it is September. A structural engineer said the walls "may" collaspe with the next frost. My delima is, if I can't have a new basement by winter, is there any way of supporting the walls until spring. The house itself it well supported with jack posts.

Any help or suggestions would be wonderful!

Thanks !

I wouldn't depend on jack posts to support a house. Even if they're on strong footings I wouldn't. I would much rather see the house supported on steel I beams or large wooden beams - say a 10X12 beam(s) - on 24X24X16 footings on their outermost areas [outside] of the foundation walls.

Comment

There are huge steel beams that is supporting the house along with the steel jackposts. The house is very supported. I just don't want the walls coming in this winter.

Comment

ok, what scares me is seeing the house on spindly jack posts - sort of like a house on stilts. give it a push and it'll sway back and forth. if the walls are coming apart as you say then they will no matter what you do. I just don't want to see the house go down into the cellar hole.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =