Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hip Roof Ventilation

I am installing vinyl siding and currently putting up soffit and facia on the south facing 1st floor front bedroom area. The room extends from the front of the house and has a hip roof with no roof vents. I am installing vented soffits and want to provide some roof ventilation as this room is warmer than it should be in the summer. I am thinking about installing ridge type roof vents at the highest point on the roof on the flat part just below the 2nd story windows. This area is 14 feet long. There is about 40 feet of vented soffit. Since this part of the house faces the street, I want this to be some what esthetic. I believe the ridge roof vents can be installed and still keep an appealing front view of the house. Any comments or suggestions on a better way? Drawing is attached. Dashed lines represent the ridge type roof vent.

the ridge vent needs an opening in the roof peak, two inches either side of the peak. the ridge pole goes from one end to the other and the rafters butt up against the ridge pole. your sheathing will go all the way to the peak, so you'll have to use a skil saw to cut a notch 2 inches both sides of the ridge pole so there is an air path to the ridge vent. the ridge vent nails over this notch and shingles go over the vent with long nails into the ridge pole.

Comment

Thanks. So you see no problem using a ridge vent for this application?

Comment

Ridge vents are the most efficient type of upper roof vents, they also look much better than pop vents. As a rule of thumb the venting is calculated as follows: 1' of vent opening for every 150 square foot of floor space, for every 1' of intake vent space there needs to be at least 80% of exit air space.
        For example a 1500 square foot room addition would need 10 square foot of intake air and 8 square foot of exit air (ridge vent).
        As a rule the big box store vents you can buy in reality only deliver 75% the venting they say for example a 6" x 12" soffit vent with insect screen leads you to believe that it is 72 square inches of intake but once you take into consideration the screening material and soffit overlap you in reality only have 54 square inches of "clear air".
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =