Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foundation Problems and Confusion...

I'm new to this forum and I am really looking for some real help and advice! So I'm sorry that this is going to be long!

I recently moved to Houston, TX and I am not super familiar with the area with reference to what the hard clay does to houses. We bought our house in January knowing that it had foundation trouble, but it came with a lifetime warranty. Unfortunately, we have been here less than a year and a crack reopened in our bedroom. When we went to call the foundation company to come check it out, and they no longer exist! So we have been calling and getting estimates left and right and we are a bit confused about what they are telling us.

This summer was particularly a dry one for us and our crack opened up after the first tropical storm of the season came through. The ground dried out and again when hurricane Ike hit the crack grew. We have no gutters, lots of drainage from the roof, and the side that has the crack fills up like a swimming pool! There is also a large Oak tree down that side (30+ years old).

What I am most confused about is the fact that all signs point (at least to me) towards the erosion of the soil causing the current foundation problems, but each of the "foundation experts" we have had out say that it is sewage leaks causing due to the cracks (bigger at the bottom) and location is close to where a bathroom is.

I am just not sure what to think of it all, and since we are new here it isn't helping the situation. I'm used to basements, not slab foundations and crappy clay dirt! Hopefully someone can provide me with some insight! Thanks!

It wouldn't be the first time I've heard something similar to what they are saying, if this was in fact the case it would be only ever the second time I've ever seen or heard that it "really" was the problem.
    Gutters....gutters...gutters, you can never have enough gutters, water against any foundation is going to cause only one thing and that is "TROUBLE" especially in clay soil.
    If it were me I'd be re grading the soil so that it slopes away from the house, (a minimum of 1/4"/foot), you say that beside the house becomes a swimming pool, well guess what...it should not do that. All that water that collects there is going only in one direction...down between your foundation and the soil/clay and this will always lead to foundation problems.
    Gutters also would be an huge help collecting the water from the roof and directing it into downspouts that then would be piped away from the house.

Are you having any problems with your sewerage ?
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

No, we have no signs of any sewage problems, no smells, drainage problems, nothing... Which is why we are highly suspect of the answers we have been getting.

We have been wanting to put gutters on the house as we know the drainage isn't normal, plus it makes a mud pit for our dogs to play in and track into the house! We just have decided to wait because if we have to level the house we don't want to break or offset our new gutters. And if they do have to dig on that side anyway we would wait and fix the drainage then (there already is a French drain there and even though it is unclugged, it cannot keep up with the water flow). So I guess it all comes down to how much the foundation people are saying actually needs done or are they just trying to make a buck! I keep wondering if we just fix the drainage problem will the house stop setteling? I think we could live with the way it is now, only a drywall crack inside and a small crack in the bricks outside. Is there a chance it will get worse? We already have bell-bottom piers installed, do we really need to replace them?

Comment

The easiest and cheapest way to check is to fix the drainage problems by re grading away from the house (this will help take the water away even without gutters). If you can do it yourself then the cost is simply the delivery of soil to re grade with. If you cannot re grade away from the house because of land and neighbor issues then simply re grade away from the house and into a "pot drain" then via a pipe to anywhere suitable.

Take a measurement of the crack size now with a set of verniers or even spark plug spacers. Make sure you mark the exact spot where your measuring, come back periodically and recheck it, this will tell you what, if and how much the movement is if any.

As mentioned, if it were me, I'd be re grading immediately as 90% of the time this is the cause of foundation issues and re grading is MUCH cheaper than foundation repairs if they are not needed.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Dirt grade....

I sure do agree with Pushkins on this, Jak. The first, and probably cheapest, is to install gutters. The shear volume of water from the roof is just too much on the ground near the foundation, which is added to the regular rain that would fall there. It must be directed away. I'd do the gutters first just to see the difference that would make. Then I'd most certainly regrade the ground. These are the tow most important items to protect the foundation from rainfall.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =