Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• window leak

I have a old "mill hill" house that was moved to a different location. I noticed during a thunderstorm that I had a leak. Upon further inspection, I found that the top seal plate had rotted,(seperated, cracked which ever you prefer to use) and due to this I had water leaking in from the top of my window where the window rest in the section. I have no vinyl siding or aluminium flashing on my house whatsoever. I was hoping that someone might have an answer to my problem that doesn't involve replacing my window.

I'm not sure from your description where exactly the leak is, my advise would be to look at the window to house siding (wood planks I assume) and look for split or cracks, then run a bead of caulk around the exterior of the window.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

I believe would be only a temp fix. but I'll try and give you a better description. where the siding of my houses exterior stops I have what looks like a 1 x , I guess acting a trim piece , now it is seperated and appears to the source of the leak but I'm really cautious about trying to replace it because I've never seen this type of trimwork before and don't want kill myself or open a can of worms, replacing it. To be honest with you I don't even know if I could get the replacement piece in there, but maybe I'm just second guessing myself. I figured I would take a recipricating saw and cut the nails or screws whatever are holding it place on the top and bottom and remove the damaged piece. Do you think I am going the right direction and how should I secure the new piece? Through the top inside of the existing window frame or what? if you are intrigued enough just hit me back with your email address and I can send you some pictures of what I'm talking about. And ANY HELP WITH THIS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Comment

The 1x material around the exterior edge is indeed trim wood, made specifically to cover the transition from the houses siding to window frame.
        If this piece is rotted then it will need to be removed and replaced.
        When you say "separated" has it just pulled away from the window or house siding or is it cracked, rotten o otherwise in need of replacement?
        If it is simply pulled away from the house then reattaching it with small galvanized nails followed by a good application of caulk is a good solution.
        If it needs replacing then it should be a simple matter of cutting any caulk away that might be present on the trim piece and then gently prying it from around the frame of the window, cut a new piece (you could always use the newer plastic trim now available) nail/screw it to the house add a bead of caulk to the exposed edges and repaint.
        You don't want to be attaching the trim piece to the window with nails or screws any gaps between the two should be filled with a good quality exterior paintable caulk.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =