Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water in window slider tray?

Hi there,

I bought a condo recently that I'm finding has more repairs needed than I expected (shocker, I know...).

My windows are the original single pane Milgard aluminum from when the condos were built 30 years ago. My outside wall gets a beating from the weather, and after a rainstorm, I just found water in the metal trays of all 3 windows. The water is not on the windowsill and is not leaking beyond the tray. It's only in the tray/slot where the window slides to open. It's almost as if the water is dripping down the face of the window, dripping into the slider tray where the window sits, and spreading the entire length of the tray. Is this normal? Or does this mean there's a leakage problem? I've examined the outside caulking and beside things being old, I can't find any ugly cracks or holes that would trigger a problem. I've already caulked the few areas where I thought there might be an issue. I was pretty shocked to see the same problem in all 3 windows, but that makes me think it might be normal for aluminum?

I'm looking into estimates on new windows, but in the meantime, I'm hoping to cope with what I have. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

take a small drill about a 1/8" bit and drill two holes through the outer bottom part of the window track. any warter that accumilates in the track will drain out.

Comment

Good tip! I'm googling more info and I'm wondering if maybe there are holes that are plugged up (I don't think I caulked anything like that but I'll double-check.)

Comment

Working...
      X
      =