Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion on leaky basement "solution"

Ever since we moved into our house 16 years ago, we've had a problem with water getting into our basement during and after heavy rains. We plan on selling the house next spring, and want to get the problem fixed once and for all.

We had water coming in from the joints where the floor meets the walls, and it would happen in various areas of the basement. I surmised that we might have drain tile that was clogged (our house is 70+ years old), so I had the interior drain tile replaced, and the weep holes going through the block to the outside cleaned out. The old drain tile and weep holes were indeed completely clogged.

That did the trick except for two areas: the northwest corner of the house, and the room under the rear stoop. We had a very heavy rain last evening, and water came in from both areas.

The northwest corner is a grading problem. The soil in the yard has settled, so we need to build up the grade.

The room under the stoop is a different matter. The stoop extends away from the house about six feet, and there's sidewalk running parallel to the house that abuts the stoop. So there's areas of soil to either side of the stoop that are surrounded by the foundation, the stoop, and the sidewalk.

Years ago I ran the downspouts from the house underground and out to the streets. One of these is next to the stoop.

My idea for a solution to the stoop problem is to remove much of the soil on either side of the stoop, grade it away from the house and the stoop, lay down heavy plastic sheeting, and attach the sheeting to the house, stoop and sidewalks with a waterproof caulk or adhesive. I've seen this done before.

I would then have a "gully" in this right up by the sidewalk, and put drain tile wrapped in yard fabric in that gully, cover with gravel, then with sand. The drain tile ("french drain") would attach to the underground pipes I already have running out to the street. I would then put down topsoil and sod over that.

To help take water away from the stoop area, I'd also do the same thing on the side of the sidewalk away from the house, and join that french drain into the underground drain pipes.

I'd really appreciate anyone's comments, advice or tales of experience with this type of plan.

Sounds like we're in the same boat. I have many issues with drainage/foundation and improper grading of our now 8 year old home. We recently added 25 bags of limestone screening, 65 bags of soil and 3 bags of sand to a 6x12 foot area in our back yard. Our neighbour also recently leveled their backyard. They boarded off their side of our fence at the bottom. We used plastic fence trimming. DOH! Nothing was added to level out under the fence. Our lot used to be soaked at the back of the home, not anymore. ...AH! except, now we see a nice gully of water flowing in between our shared fences, which still runs along side our house, out through the weeping tile system, onto the front lawn. lol Turns out, the neighbours lots behind us drains onto our lots in large amounts... and now straight down the newly formed canal under our fence lines. We are currently trying to figure out what to put between the trough under the fence.

I'm almost positive this is responsible for our foundation cracks and house settlement issues. We have basement floor cracks running from wall to wall, spidered all over the place. A new floor to ceiling crack in the center of our house from heaving after winter to spring 2009. Our water leak also appears at the bottom.

Re-grading your lot to slope away from your house is probably #1. Water is the enemy here. We have poor clay soils that don't drain properly. BUILD UP! As soon as we added all that new top soil/aggreate to our lot, the saturation levels brought a smile to my face.

Good luck!
    Thanks for sharing your experience!

Comment

Working...
    X
    =