Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expansion joint repair

My driveway consists of several sections 18' wide by 20' long. Between each section was a composite expansion joint material that had a tar base. This material has long since rotted away leaving a slot that fills with dirt and grows weeds quite nicely.

A few years ago I purchases a foam rod material to press into the slot leaving a groove about 1" deep or so, to fill with a self-leveling filler. I have never completed this task and am now wonder if there is a better way and, if not, what is the preferred brand of filler?

Thanks.

leave the foam rod in place if it isn't deteriorated and finish with a tar based filler. home depot or lowes has it.

Comment

HayZee518,

Its the tar based product preferred over these grey color urethane selfleveling products? I see situations with the urethane products where they don't seem to adhere to the sides of the crack and, as a result, allow dirt and weeds to grow. I was wondering if the tar based material adheres better.

Thanks.

Comment

tar based products are better because after they cure, they stay soft and pliant. urethanes cure and are not flexible. coal tar products like driveway sealers are always better.

Comment

Thank you for the reply. The link you provided in your reply was for surgical instruments. did you intend to provide name brands of recommended tar based products?

With tar based products, do they track into the house/garage on the bottoms of shoes or tires?

Comment

surgical instruments what is this referenced to? I certainly didn't include this.
            once the tar forms a skin on top it shouldn't track

Comment

As a general contractor, I have seen a product called SL1 used in this instance. They use it on concrete for expansion joints that are formed in or cut in later. it comes in caulk tubes. It is kind of like a volcum material and used a lot on controlled athsmosphere buildings over here in Washington state for the fruit warehouses. These joints are driven over many times by semis and forklifts with bins of fruit and hold up to years of abuse. You would want to put the round foam in the crack and use the SL1 product at a depth of about 1 inch and it will self level to the top of the crack. It might be sold as an elastromeric sealant in your area. I hope this helps. Justin

Comment

HayZee518;delthorconstruction,

Thanks for the input. I'll check out these products. HayZee518..... I don't know about the surgical instrument link..... it appears this site randomly assigns URL to certain words in the text. I noticed my reply had links associated with certain words.... links that I didn't add. Maybe it's a form of advertising. Who knows.

Thanks again and have a good day.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =