Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solving condensation problem, steel roof.

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solving condensation problem, steel roof.

My father has an addition on his home that has a steel pole barn type roof.
    There is currently no insulation of any kind.
    The roof is basically a lean too constructed with 2x8s. There is no attic.
    The room used to be like a three season porch. Now that it is enclosed, he had a serious condensation problem last winter.
    Water was collecting and dripping from the metal roofing like crazy.
    We need to insulate and install some type of ceiling before winter hits, and I do not want to create a mold problem.
    There was enough condensation last winter to destroy drywall.
    Will insulation stop the condensation problem, or trap the moisture in the ceiling?
    What type of insulation do I need?
    Please help!

for a metal roof with steel trusses and purlins, spray on foam is the ONLY way to insulate the roof. because the outside is colder than the inside, when you apply inside heat moisture in the air condenses on the cold roof. as it heats up it drips. foam type insulation will increase the distance the heat and/or cold will permeate into the building OR to the outside. fiberglass is out because there's no way to keep it on the ceiling. adhesives won't work as the fiberglass will pull apart from its own weight. 2 inch styrofoam won't work because of the fastening problem.

Comment

The purlins and trusses are wood.
      Does the insulation need to be bonded directly to the metal roofing?
      The only spray foam insulation I am familiar with is "Great Stuff" in a spray can.
      Do you rent the equipment to apply spray on foam insulation at a Home Depot type of store?
      Would Fiberglass insulation held up by a drywall ceiling work?
      If so, is it imperative that the insulation be in direct contact with the roof?
      Or would an air gap be desirable?
      Thanks again.

Comment

I was thinking spray on insulation from an insulation company. that's where the product is mixed "at the gun" and goes on like that. I don't know of any other way of bonding insulation to a metal roof

Comment

Working...
        X
        =