Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brick siding wall leak

Pleasehelp- I noticed adamp spot on drywall in my dining room and upon inspection, relaized that not only was the drywall wet but the chipboard behind it was wet as well-someone cut a slit in the tykek and I can see thorugh to the brick siding- weare going to assess all damage tomorrow but I can see the 2x4 s are water damaged as well- how can I fix this without tearing down the entire wall? It is an exterior load bearing wall.

Where you see the open motar joints fill them with motar. But also if its not a joint then something can be coming in from up top, Or do you see any obvious cracks in the wall?
    Last edited by The Builder; 09-18-2009, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Builder View Post
      Where you see the open motar joints fill them with motar. But also if its not a joint then something can be coming in from up top, Or do you see any obvious cracks in the wall?
      Thank you! We are not seeing any open joints but we are going to check more closely, fill them and seal the brick but my major concern is the damage to the interior- the insulation is soaked and the tyvek is slit- how can we repair this? It appears this was a problem for the previous owner- there is chip board (OSB??) directly behind the drywall that is crumbling, then wet insulation and some insulation is completley gone. We noticed the leak due to a stain on the carpet and then saw the damaged drywall - the damage seems to be mostly in the bottom of the wall (directly underneath an electrical outlet)but I will know more when we cut into the wall. Here in FL the water is a concern of course but termites are a worry as well- luckily no termites are apparent right now! SInce the Tyvek is slit there is no water barrier at this time. The problem appears to have been there for a while as the area is moldy. I appreciate your help!

Comment

It may be pretty hard to get between the back of the studs and the brick. You can try to pre do, if I may say, the Tyvec. What I mean is, you can apply the Tyvec to the board before you try to attach it. Also try slip some adhesive on the edges of the tyvec, if perchance it will adhere to the older surrounding Tyvec that will remain.Also cut the Tyvec wider than the board. I can't see the problem at hand, so I can't really judge how much room you have to work with, but it sounds pretty tight. As far as the insulation replace the ones that got wet. And replace the sheetrock
        Last edited by The Builder; 09-19-2009, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Weel, I got into the wall today- it is so wet that the 2x4 are rotted clean through-you are right is going to be tight- also found the problem - the gutter installer cut into the flashing rather than doing a proper installation ... looks like I will be bracing the wall removing the rotten wood sealing the brick, reparing the flashing and resealing the window as well. I removed the wet chip board and sprayed the area to kill the mod- we also put sheeting up to contain the dampness and mold as well as create a barrier unitl the wall dries, I am guessing it is pointless to strart on the interior of the wall but we will be working on the brick and the flashing -thank you for your advice- some people were telling me I had to pull down the brick. I can't do that myself and can't really affrord to pay someone so it helps to know that this can be done!

Comment

Working...
          X
          =