Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caulk Issue

Hello! I recently used Dap Alex Plus clear caulk on a couple of small exterior jobs (one being patio door trim). The tube was purchased 4 months ago, but it had not been opened. I applied it 3 days ago when the daytime temp was mid 50's and nighttime low was in the low 40's. The tempos have been about the same for 3 days. Today, it has been raining a bit for the first time since I applied the caulk. The caulk was runny and ruined. Surely the temps weren't too low. Any thoughts. Illinois won't be getting any warmer and I prefer not to wait until spring. I can get away with brown caulk on the job that I really hate to wait on.
    Thanks

Caulk Issue

I year ago i had the same thing happen to me, I was buying it by the case. In 24 hours it did not set up and before it would set up in a few hours. I turn the case back in, and went to a different brand. When i read the tube from the old one to the new one they changed it. I can't believe they are still trying to sell it.
    later Paul

Comment

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to try another brand. Just don't want to do it when it gets too cold.

Comment

a non silicone caulk will run. it is basically a sour cream consistency paint and if subjected to moisture WILL RUN before it skims over.

Comment

And the Dap stuff says acrylic latex plus silicone. Even so, shouldn't it have skimmed in 3 days?

Comment

I mean skinned over.

Comment

Caulk Issue

what i used from dap was silicone caulk not the cheep stuff and like i said when the changed the chemical make up to make biodegradable , it just did not work.
              That was a year ago so i would have thought they would had fixed that by now. Maybe you got bought some of the new old stock. Later paul

Comment

Working...
              X
              =