Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caulked Z flashing

I am having lap siding installed on my house. There is z flashing above all windows and the garage. The seam between the flashing and the siding, the top of the horizontal portion of the z flashing, has been caulked. Looking at the installation instructions of the siding (figure 7 page 2, of james hardie's installation insturctions) it states not to caulk this area. The contractor already caulked this area. What are the risks of having the caulk there?

The main reason they don't want caulk there is to allow moisture out.
    Is the new siding being installed over existing siding?
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thanks. I just wanted to get a second opinion. I spoke to the contractor about this and he gave me a winded reason why he did it. For me, I don't see why anyone would install z flashing if they decide to caulk it. There wouldn't be a reason, that I know of, to stick some z flashing in caulk.
      Last edited by zeal; 12-06-2009, 03:26 PM.

Comment

The old siding was removed and the new siding was put on in addition to new molding around the windows

Comment

Hi Zeal,

Like pushkins said this area should let moisture out if for some reason above that point water got behind the siding. If the top edge of the "z" flashing is taped or put under your house wrap, when water gets behind the siding it will run down the house wrap or wall and hit the "z" flashing and run out so it doesn't run into the wall around the window.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =