Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof / Mold Issues

We purchased a house this April in Pennsylvania. We hired a reputable inspection firm to do the inspection. We purchased the house, mainly because it needed relatively little work. In fact, the inspector mentioned the roof was relatively new and was, by his estimate, less than 5 years old. However, several weeks ago we noticed water stains and water dripping from our master bathroom. The roofer we hired to fix the leak cut out 2 5x5 sections of the roof. It was discovered that the plywood under the shingles were covered in mold. Furthermore, he mentioned that while the shingles were new, the plywood was warped, discolored, and cracked namely because poor ventilation had caused the plywood to warp and crack from heat.

I have never sued anyone but feel the inspection company should have discovered that the plywood under the shingles was visibly warped, cracked, discolored, and festered with mold. I also have a sneaking suspicion the seller of the house failed to disclose this because there's obvious evidence in the master bathroom, where it has been leaking, that the ceiling had been patched in several place. At this point, the roofer is quoting me $9000 to replace the plywood and shingles. Do I have any legal recourse? What should I, as the homeowner, do in order to prevent the mold from spreading?
    Last edited by am3rican; 12-29-2009, 09:19 PM.

the inspector did a general look over the property. unless he climbed into the attic and did a thorough picking and poking inspection, there's no real way he could tell if there were leaks or deteriorated sheathing. the homeowner should have told him or you about a past problem, which by now made its presence known. did your contractor mention that he could install gable vents to exhaust the hot air and explain why. somebody defaulted on a building.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      the inspector did a general look over the property. unless he climbed into the attic and did a thorough picking and poking inspection, there's no real way he could tell if there were leaks or deteriorated sheathing. the homeowner should have told him or you about a past problem, which by now made its presence known. did your contractor mention that he could install gable vents to exhaust the hot air and explain why. somebody defaulted on a building.
      The inspector did climb into the attic. He only mentioned that I needed more insulation.

I have a ridge vent running the length of the roof. 2 foot soffits on either side of the house and a gable vent. I can't see how ventilation is a problem but according to the roofer it is.

Comment

Roof ventilation needs two things to work a way out for air and most importantly a way in. The way in, needs to be at the attics lowest point to be fully effective, this is usually in soffit. For every 1" square of exit vent there needs to be 1" square of entry space. Also as important is that the entry vents are NOT covered by insulation, I see attic insulation all the time pushed down over the soffits or piled up against the corners where the roof deck comes down, in these cases you need to install baffles between the roof rafters/trusses to allow air flow through.
        The damage could well have been done before the ridge vent or other vents were installed.

If the roofer has fixed the leaking areas with the bad ply why would you need the entire roof re done?
        As for the mold issue, again if there are no other leaks and the ventilation issue is taken care of then mold shouldn't be an issue either.

I'm not saying this is the case in your situation but I seem to come across many people that call themselves "Home Inspectors", one notable one was an out of work drywall installer with no other experience.

Check with your Home Warranty Company, roofing issues may well be covered by them, although you completed repairs without their consent may negate their warranty.
        Last edited by pushkins; 12-30-2009, 08:26 AM.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

I'd make sure you have open Ridge vents and soffit vents. Sounds like interior moisture is trapped under the shingles.

Comment

Similar situation here. I have new ridge vents, gable vents and soffit vents that are blocked with insulation. I'm in a cold weather area so for some of the winter the ridge vents are covered with snow. Not sure what to do.

Comment

easy, remove the insulation from the soffits so the air has someplace to go. with some air flow the ridge vents will clear themselves.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =