Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof Replacement

Hi Everyone:

I am deep in South Texas and am having a problem with a small water leak when it rains. The leak, which I have not been able to find in the attic, is right where the ceiling meets the outer wall. Being so close to the wall makes it hard to find because access is almost zero. I have been up on the roof and have seen no visible damage that might be causing the leak. The existing roof(asphalt shingles) is about 20 years old and I would like to replace it with metal roofing. What guage is recommended? Also, would it be best to have it installed over the existing roof or would it be better to have exixting removed? All help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, OMB

Leaks in shingle roofs can come from many places, just because you physically see the water lower on the roof doesn't always mean that's where it is, often small leaks will follow rafters/trusses considerable distances down before actually dripping off, look higher up the roof above the sight where your seeing the drip.
    One thing that is common to cause small insidious leaks are "nail pops", just one nail popping up under a shingle can cause this sort of pain in the butt, leak.

I'm a huge fan of metal roofs, if you remove the existing roof (ideal) and leave the sheathing there still needs to be a layer of insulation between sheathing and metal roof. Homes "built" with metal roofs seldom have sheathing over the rafters/trusses, you use battens fastened over the trusses to help tie in the roof structure (as well as steel strapping) and to allow the roof to be screwed down in the span between raters. The reason behind the insulation between roof and sheathing to to alleviate moisture between the two.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Roof Replacement

Thanks for all the info. I just got down off the roof after climbing all the way to the top and working my way down looking for spots that might be causing the leak. I could not spot any suspicious spots. I have put some roofing sealer in a spot where a shingle was loose, but I don't really think that was the problem with the degree of slop on the roof. Anyway, we are due some rain later, so we will wait and see.

As for the metal roofing, what guage would be recommended? I know I had seen on one website where they also installed about 4" rigid foam batts or whatever you call them, for insulation. Would these also help to make the roof more solid?

Thanks, OMB

Comment

The below web address will answer your questions and give you a little more information:

Metal Roofs Cost, Rust, Gauge? - Union Corrugating Answers Frequently Asked Questions
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Re:

The best way is to find a contractor that you trust and have them inspect the roof for damage. Make sure you get a contractor that uses Exactimate software to do estimates. If the contractor determines there is a reason to make a claim, file a claim with your insurance. Make sure your contractor is there to show your insurance adjuster the damages. That is the best way since insurance adjusters often overlook damages, make low estimates or deny claims.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =