Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chimney is leaking water into attic

A few years ago i had my chimney rebuilt from the roof up and they said that due to some bad flashing they couldn't get a great the perfect seal around the chimney where it meets the roof. No big deal they come out and seal it whenever it leaks and it is usually just a few drops. I noticed that when it does leak it is not leaking from the roof but about half way down the chimney in the attic. I
    t seems like it works it's way down inside the chimney and comes out halfway out of the chimney into the attic. Is this possible? Or am I just catching it after it has leaked and mostly dried up already. The chimney in the attic is brick and out the roof I am not sure what it is but it has some type of masonry sealer on it that looks like stucco.
    Any thoughts or suggestions to deal with this. Can it leak down from the cap and out into the attic. Like I said it is just a few drops after a heavy, heavy rain but It just gets to me.
    Thanks!
    Jtfoxman

Sounds like wind-blown rain may be getting into your mortar joints OR, you have to re-visit your flashing issue.

If it is on the UPSIDE of the chimney, it could be ICE DAMMING above the chimney.

I'd get a roofer with more experience.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =