Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace sloped flat roof with pitch roof

hello all, great forum, glad I found it.

I was wanting to see if somebody could answer this question...

I have an old detached garage that is in pretty bad shape and really should be dozed and rebuilt, but I just can't afford to sink that kind of money into right now and not sure it would be worth it for resale on the house, but the garage currently has a sloped roof that leaks like crazy, the wall framing is still in fairly dencent shape. It's not really sloped as much as sagging in the middle and sloped...basically the top plate is nowhere near level all the way around. What I would lilke to do is demo this flat roof and put a pitch roof on it. I was wondering what the best way to level out the top plate for a pitch roof with existing walls? Do you just shim it and put another top plate over that? Also I was thinking of having the trusses built and delivered so they are already made. Is that the best way to go? Any help advice would be appreciated because I really don't know what I am doing and have never done any framing. I would just like to have a garage that is somewhat usable and doesn't leak.

How far out of whack is the top plate? Is there a dug foundation for the garage? Before you go demolitioning anything, find out why and repair the sinking problem. Roof trusses would be the way to go because for a stick built roof you would need a ridge pole to build the rafters on. trusses are an engineered product and can be made to span 40 feet with no center support.
    Last edited by HayZee518; 03-22-2010, 11:22 AM. Reason: spelling correction

Comment

Working...
    X
    =