Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foundation tilting

Decided that this was the closest place to post this. Let me see if I can explain this. I have a house that was built in 1915, looks to have been built by a farmer. It is a two story with a basement foundation, but at some point an addition was made to the original house that is about 4 feet wide and runs the length of the house-it looks like they just added 4 feet on to the entire house, both top and bottom floors. The addition has a crawlspace that goes between the original basement foundation and the kneewall (I think that is the correct term). My problem is that the kneewall is cracking in multiple locations and is actually leaning out in one area, causing the siding to bulge out with it. The floor in the living/dining area has a noticeable slope to it along the line where the addition seems to have been made, and also a space can be seen between the wood floor boards. In addition, the porch where the basement foundation wall ends is also noticeably sloped (this is where the knee wall is leaning out most), almost an inch different from the other side of the porch. So the question is, is this a "simple" fix of jacking up the affected side of the house and replacing the kneewall, or is there more structural work to be done? I realize that without seeing the house it would be hard to say exactly, but any advice/ideas would be appreciated. We are getting a foundation contractor to look at it soon, but I would like to be educated a bit before they arrive.

It sounds like the foundation of the new wall (you called it a knee wall) is sinking, this usually only happens when the foundation is insufficient to bear the load of the wall above.
    You right in calling in foundation experts a visual inspection is going to tell much more than typed words (unless you can post some pictures).
    Provided it's only a sinking foundation and the "footer" (concrete pad poured in the ground below the brick wall) is sufficient then a simple jacking and stabilizing of the foundation will be required.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =