Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screw drive dilemma

Hi, trying to troubleshoot problem with Genie Intellicode H6000 Screw drive 1/2 horse. Installed 2006, with VERY light use. (No cars in this garage).
    Clopay 16' insulated door - from HD

Just replaced carriage wishing that was the problem. Old carriage looked brand new.

Symptoms.
    With Carriage disengaged, motor will not complete regular cycle.
    First push: - 1/2 second, stops
    Second push: 1/2 second, stops
    occasional push - 5-7 seconds, then worm vibrates terribly at the first bar joint - about 3 ft. from the motor.

Many variations of the above scenario, but I think there is a problem in the motor engaging the worm . I've ruled out the door being the issue, or the springs, as it is balanced at 37 inches, and I am getting these results with the carriage disengaged. Have cleaned up all of the grease, which there was plenty of, that is not the problem.

Is there a gear in the motor that could be faulty? This motor has had minimal service, but I suppose it could be worn out with a 16' door.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks.

thanks for checking that the door was balanced on its own.

Yes, there is a gear that can be replaced on most models of garage door openers. But tell me this, after it stops, do the lights flash (make sure you have a light bulb installed)? if so, how many times? this is usually a code to trouble shoot. Also, can you push and hold the wall button and get it to work properly or does it do the same exact thing? if not, how did it act differently?

Fyi, the screw drive should have only a very light amount of grease, if that is not the case, see how much you can clean out. Someone may have got into 'more is better mood' and applied too much.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
      - The lights do not flash. They stay on for about 2 mintues, as usual. Have never seen them flash as you described.
      - I pushed the wall button just now, and it appears that it went a complete cycle. Then it stopped normally. When I pushed and held down second time, it sounds like the gear engaging, then a low hum/buzz which continues until I let go of the button. The worm will not turn. I did this seven or eight times.
      - Also, when that happens, the bar surrounding the worm is torquing quite visibly. If I were standing under the motor facing the door, it was torquing clockwise.

I'm guessing there is probably a little too much grease, so I wiped out what I could.
      Thanks again for your help.

Comment

screw drives

I am not a fan of these things, but they are usually serviceable.

Genie's do not have blinking lites, except on the red photo eye. you may be able to find out something there by how many times it blinks and then repeats, if possible.

their is a coupler between the motor and the screw drive rail, this could be bad possibley.

also if you bought it at a hardware store their are joints in the screw that are held together by clips, that can break, fall off, or may not have been installed at all, and work the few times you used it, but now are showing their true colors.

Check these joints.

Lastly it could be as simple as sensititvity settings, but it doesn't sound like it.

Comment

any luck?

Brad, my Genie 1/2 hp screw drive is acting the same way. My door's balance isn't as good as yours (have to open it up around 5' before it stays still on its own).

I had to increase the force controls over the winter, and now it stopped completely. Same hum/buzz. Light goes on, but nothing turns. Just ordered a transformer and coupler, but not sure that's the issue.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =