Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weird Problem - Door not closing and opening after I replaced springs???

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Problem - Door not closing and opening after I replaced springs???

Hi everyone,

I have 2 car garage. Both doors have pulley system. One of the doors was not closing properly in the past. Whenever I closed the garage, the door would sit above the ground by an inch from one side. If I force it then it would close all the way down.

I had couple of Garage Repair guys look at it, one recommended to change the entire mechanism and put one that goes above the door on the wall. Another one was charging $349 to service and replace both springs.

I took the initiative and went to Home Depot and purchased 90lbs springs, since my door weighed about 80lbs. I replaced the springs successfully along with the Safety Cable. As per recommended, I manually closed the door after I replaced the springs and the door went down properly instead of forcing its way up to open.

When I used the Garage Door button the first time, the door successfully closed all the way to the end. Then I re-opened it and closed it, that's when the problem started. Now it goes down all the way, right when its about to touch the ground, couple of inches and it opens itself up.

Can anyone tell me what's going on? I did some research and made sure the Safety Eyes were still in the right angle and the lights were solid and not blinking. So that's checked, any other areas that I need to look at or some adjustment that I am missing after I replaced the springs?

quick check to make sure the door is going down evenly, alot of the times with extension springs the door will come down uneven and pinch in the tracks.

check to make sure you have the same amount of stretch on each spring when the door is closed or it just maybe your down force setting on the opener (the new springs might be just strong enough to hold it up; force setting is on the back of the operator head)
    hope that helps can contact me if you have any more questions http://www.prodoorsupply.com
    Last edited by mb123452010; 08-23-2011, 04:26 PM. Reason: mis type

Comment

weird problem

try adjusting length of travel by the the up and down screws on the motor unit

Comment

There are only 3 things that can cause an opener to reverse when it's trying to go down. 1- the remote is activated. Usually not the case, although if your wiring has short, I have seen it happen. 2. the photo eyes/safety sensors are being tripped. this can happen if cobwebs are built up on the eyes, strings are dangling from the bottom of the door, sun is shining into the lens of the receiving photo eye, or photo eyes are misaligned or blocked by the scrap wood pile you have stashed in the corner. (you know you all do!)

3rdly, which sounds like your problem is the "pressure sensors", so to speak, are being tripped. this is a sensor that will reverse in case the door closes on a pet, child or car. this usually has 2 dials on the motor somewhere where you can adjust how much "force" the opener opens and closes with. the higher the number, the harder it pushes. Try and turn the force up a little bit on the "downward" travel. keep in mind if you turn it up too much, it will take a lot more pressure before it reverses. Your doggy might not like that extra squeeze if he gets trapped under it, heaven forbid.

The root of your problem is the fact that you have extension springs. because there are 2 springs in this system, each one can pull independently of the other which allows the door to get crooked as it opens and closes. I will not install doors with extension springs because they are not very effective in my opinion, and you will usually end up fighting them at some point, especially as the door gets older. Anyway, the guy who said you need to convert to torsion springs (springs above the door on the header) was right on. I would take him up on it if you continue to have problems. I just converted my buddies garage door springs for the same reason, and it works like a dream now.

try to increase the "force" use discretion, and see if that helps. if not, call that installer back and end your problems.

Comment

Switch to torsion springs if at all possible. If you cannot do this you need to actually weigh the garage door with a bathroom scale. After you get the door weight you can see what springs are needed.

Next, make sure the door is lubricated well and not binding up as it reaches the curved part of the track.

Make sure the limits and forces on the opener motor are adjusted properly. You will just have to adjust these yourself.

Lastly check the photo eyes. Try holding down the wall button until the door hits the floor. If that works then the photo eyes are the problem. Sometimes sunlight or dust can hit the eye beams.

Comment

garage door pro

The only problem that you having is with the garage door opener it’s very easy to fix you just need to move the adjustment screw

Comment

Working...
            X
            =