Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clopay 1000 issue

I have a 16 year old Clopay 1000 door. Single tension spring with 2 spools on each end of that tension spring rod with a cable going from the spool to the bottom of the door. My problem is the door seems to have shifted to the right. It is much closer to the track on the right than left. The spool is grinding on the support bracket. My question is can I loosen the grub screw on the spool and move it a 1/4 inch or so to the left? I think that will cure the grinding and the little bit of jerk the door has going down. Thanks!!

your concept is sound, however you will need to release the tension on the door 1st. if you simply loosen the set screw, the cables will no longer be the same length because the door will shift to the only drum that has tension (the one you didnt loosen) and when you re-tighten the screw/cable drum, you will notice the opposite side of the door has lifted a little and the door no longer sits level- which it NEEDS to be.

1st- ***IF you havent worked on doors before- dont mess with it. the springs can hurt you/maim you. call a professional or someone who claims to be.

if you have a little experience with garage door springs, this is how I would do it. the easiest way to release the tension on the springs is to take your winding bars, and without loosening anything, backwind the spring(either one) a 1/4 turn- insert your other winding bar and leave it in place to hold the tension. this will loosen the cables on both sides. grab a level and make sure your door is sitting level before you loosen anything- use a pry bar or something to shim the door if needed to make it sit level. then you can go to the left side cable drum, loosen the set-screw on the cable drum and put it where you want (the closer to the bracket the better- they have a bearing in the drums that should allow it to rest next to the bracket and still turn) anyway, set the cable drum where you want it and then roll the drum until the cable is tight again. now re-tighten that set screw. go to the other side and do the same thing. loosen screw, move drum, tighten cable and re-tighten set-screw. now your door should be sitting level with both cables hand-tight. now grab your winding bar and backwind the spring slowly- just enough to allow the other winding bar to slide out of the winding cone. then slowly lower the remaining winding bar as the tension is re-applied to the cables. you will lose 1/4 turn of tension in each spring doing it this way, but it is faster. depending on how your door runs, that 1/4 turn per spring may be enough to make the door pretty heavy. if it is too heavy, just add the 1/4 back on to each spring. hopefully you know how to do that otherwise you should have attempted the above steps.! hope this helps!

Comment

Thanks Jeff!

Didn't get any replies so gave it a try. As you said the door dropped on the side I loosened the spool (not the spring) on and I could not figure out how to even it back up. $79 and 10 minutes and the service call was over. He loosened the other side spool the door dropped to the ground and he tightened both sides and took my check. Felt kind of stupid.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =