Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craftsman Garage Door problem

I have a 1/2 garage door opener. The opener will go down and then get stuck. I have tested this with out the door on as well. the only way to get the door to go up is i have to lossen the chain and take it off the gear. If i hit the button after its been stuck it just makes a hum sound. Thougts?
    Thanks
    Mike

try adjusting length of travel..there should be two adjustment screws on the motor unit...one for up and one for down

Comment

Centurion is right is that you should look at your travel limits. However, sounds like your travel limits are screwed up. this happens when the motor moves independent of the chain for some reason (skipping sprockets, or running the motor without chain attached. If this is the case, you just need to reset the chain/motor relationship.

to start, I would re-set the limits by 1st removing the chain again. then hit the button on your garage door opener remote so that the motor starts going in downward direction. (it's obviously not actually going to move anything since the chain isnt attached- but you can hear it move and see the sprocket turning) Now kick your foot across the photo eye/safety sensors to reverse the door. (this will insure that the motor is 100% traveling in the up direction.) and let the motor go all the way to the end of it's "up" travel until it stops. now you know the opener is set in the "up" position, so all that is left to do is attach the chain back to the motor WHILE IN THE UP POSITION. so, attach the chain in a position that leaves the trolley plate (the plate that attaches to the door trolley and the door) up near the motor side of the rail- Now run the opener again with your remote and see how far down the rail it goes. it should go somewhere near the end- at least further than it was before. if not- adjust the "dials" (somewhere on the motor) to increase how far the trolley will go in the "downward direction". attach the door to the opener, as and tweak the travel limits again to get it exactly where you want it.

I have had this problem before when I first started in the business. I replaced a garage door motor which comes pre-set in the down position when it comes out of the box. but when I disconnected the door initially, the door was in the UP position, which meant the chain was in the up position. Then I joined the new motor and the old rail together which confused the motor's travel limiter. IT took me a minute to figure out why it would only open a foot or so- because there is a limit to the amount of adjustment you can make with those dials. anyway, hope that isnt too confusing. good luck.
      Last edited by jeffkellen; 11-05-2011, 03:30 PM.

Comment

If the door gets stuck it could be a stripped gear inside the motor (the humming noise usually tips that off)

Check the spring tension on the door. If the springs are out of adjustment or old the opener will have to work extra hard to open and eventually fail.

Lastly, adjust the limits and forces on back of your garage door opener.

Mike
        Stamps Garage Doors
        Garage Door Parts
        Last edited by stampdoorparts; 12-26-2011, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =