Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very old genie screw drive closes but won't open- help

I have two units, both must be 20+ years old. Today one unit stopped going up but goes down. When I press button to go down, light comes on, motor goes on and it goes down. Once light is off, I press button to go up, light comes on, but motor doesn't come on. Limit switches seem clear. I even tested the switches by disengaging door, pressing button, then manually activitating each switch at different times and both switches will turn off motor.

The fact that the light comes on when I try to open it tells me it is getting power and a signal to "open" but motor doesn't turn on......

Door moves freely, no broken springs.

Any idea what else I could check or what it could be?

Update- since I do have another working identical opener I decided to swap parts. Started with the circuit board(logic board?) and it worked!

So ordered a new one - whic is discontinued and seems to be from the mid 70's!!! Woohoo!

If it breaks again, think I will step up to the 21st century and get a whole new opener. But for now bell bottom door opener it is...

Will update when board arrives

Comment

Hello Silroc,

With 20+ year old openers, its hard to tell whats going to be the problem. It's like going into the doctor when your 90 and saying everything hurts...yes, everything hurts, your 90 years old. As you discovered the logic board is a good start- another thing I would check is the drive gears (internal) depending on the age and model. You alluded to it, but your openers have outlived their respective life expectancies, it's gotten to the point where new openers should be at the top of your list of solutions You can get new openers now starting at $120 and from the sounds of it, you should be able to install them with no problem. Good luck, and dont bang your head against the wall for too long if it doesn't fix the problem! Let me know if you have any questions or problems.

Comment

garage door opener

Hi my name is Dan and I am garage door installer for more than 15 years and according to whet you said you will need to replace the springs and the garage door opener as well
        I am highly recommended to go with lift master opener

Comment

Working...
        X
        =