Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay it's a standard gable roof.
    Certainly from what I can see you should be able to replace the existing doors with one wide door.
    It's certainly not outside the scope of a flitch beam probably 8" and most likely 3/8" steel. Plate would be drilled and bolted to same size lumber on 12" centers staggered.
    The beam would sit on 2 x 2"x4" jacks studs at each end (min.)
    If you can use the 8" beam this would make life much easier as you can build a temp. wall on the interior to support the roof load and remove all existing lumber except the top plate that the rafters nail down into.
    Of course you would need to remove the center post and either shorten the opening to be a standard 16' door or buy a custom sized door.

You probably should call your local building department and check with the building inspector to their requirements, if you plan to have the work inspected then they will require a plan of the work, in most cases as long as you follow their requirements regarding beam size etc... they are happy with a home drawn plan, if you deviate away from what "they" like then they will require an engineers plan with his/her stamp. Once an engineer stamps a plan and as long as you follow that plan to the "T" there is nothing they can or will say.
    Different codes and local requirements can alter otherwise standard building design.
    One thing I will add is that you will be making major structural changes to the garage, this will mean that you loose any and all "Grandfathering" and will be required to make changes to the garage to bring it up to current code, for example they will require you to add hurricane clips to each rafter just for starters (I would advise adding them regardless ).
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thanks for all of your assistance. You have provided me with enough information to be a little more savy when I do call some folks out for quotes.

Again, THANKS!

Comment

Originally posted by digitalshooter View Post
        Thanks for all of your assistance. You have provided me with enough information to be a little more savy when I do call some folks out for quotes.

Again, THANKS!

Your always welcome. Let us know how things progress.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thanks, I am always thinking ahead on projects, so this one will be a while but will come back here and post update as we get into it!

Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X
          =