Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garage door opener having a mind of its own?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage door opener having a mind of its own?

Hello,
    So i have a Chamberlain Garage Door Opener 1/2HP.

Anyways, it seems to have a mind of its own. At first, i noticed that the in the close position, the motor is reverse and it goes forward slamming the door shut. Does anyone know how to get this reversed? It just happened randomly, im not sure if someone hit it lose?

So i start playing with the opening and closing setting to that it will travel on how i set it. Thing is, it will open half way but at least it won't hit the front wall(aka slam the door shut). Anyways, i hooked the garage door back onto the track and it again slame the door shut. I changed the setting so it wouldn't! Any ideas on why its doing that?

Anyone know a fix for this?

TIA!

EDIT: NVM, we figured it out...
    Last edited by Albort; 08-07-2012, 09:01 PM.

Door is out of balance

Sounds like a broken counterbalance spring or a door severely out of balance. Hopefully, by figuring it out, that means you discovered the actual cause and corrected it rather than mask it by adjusted the opener settings. An out of balance door is very dangerous and a significant hazard to anyone around it.

Comment

Originally posted by GarageDoorRepairGuy View Post
      Sounds like a broken counterbalance spring or a door severely out of balance. Hopefully, by figuring it out, that means you discovered the actual cause and corrected it rather than mask it by adjusted the opener settings. An out of balance door is very dangerous and a significant hazard to anyone around it.
      naw, we figured it out. The Garage Door Screw Drive Carriage Rack was to blame. It slipped from the screw. We found that part on amazon but have not yet installed it. But we are sure it is because we can ear it slipping when it closes...

Comment

Make sure your not storing any corrosives in the garage. Chemicals like chlorine and muriatic acid are highly corrosive and can vent. This leads to light corrosion on the screw, which when the trolley passes creates grit that wears the teeth down. Also, corrosives can corrode the travel limit switches, which are usually exposed metal contacts. This will cause the door to travel too far and strain the trolley. I come across corrosion issues a lot because people tend to keep muriatic acid for pools or concrete cleaning.

Trolleys typically don't strip without a cause.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =