Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genie Screw Drive Intermittent Problem

We have a 1/2 hp Genie Screw drive opener I installed in the mid '90's. Except replacing the carriage a couple of years ago the opener has been solid.

Recently though, it has been starting to have an intermittent problem. It will occasionally fail to open. When I press the button it will only give a short buzz, maybe 1/2 second, then nothing. It appears to be heat related. I live in a very hot climate where the garage is typically >100°F in the summer. The problem has only happened when the door has been opened and closed a few times within an hour or two time period. Like yesterday, I went to the store, returned and found an item that needed to be replaced so I went back to the store immediately and when I returned the second time the door wouldn't open. It was 114°F here yesterday so the garage was plenty hot. This morning the door opened fine (although it gave a short buzz like it wasn't going to open). It always will function fine the following morning. It never stops in the middle. The door is balanced and releasing the carriage so there is no load on the opener doesn't make any difference.

I replaced the starting capacitor a few weeks ago but that made no difference.

Any thoughts on what I should look at next? I'd really like the fix the opener rather than replace it since it hasn't had a tremendous amount of use over the years and still works fine 98% of the time.

Thanks,

Jim

Replace it. Motor bushings are bad and no replacement parts for it. It's a VERY common thing I see with Genie screw drive openers. The rotating part inside the motor get too much play and then make contact with the outer. Then sometimes it will go, then other not. Just replace the whole thing.

Comment

Thanks TJR. I won't spend any more time or effort trying to fix it then.

Any recommendations for a replacement? I don't care how quiet it is. In fact I'd prefer a noisier one as odd as that may sound. Reliability and length of service are more important to me. Do you have any experience with the Sommer direct drive units?

Thanks again.

Jim

Comment

Sorry, but I never worked with the Sommer direct drive unit.
        We work mostly with Chamberlain product(LiftMaster, Chamberlain and Craftsman), Genie, Linear, Marantec and SkyLink. If you go to the box store, Home Depot has this Chamberlain opener with the new MyQ technology for $158 with 2 remotes and a keypad. If you use homelink, this might not program to the homelink.
        Last edited by TJR; 08-20-2013, 01:29 AM. Reason: Monday.........

Comment

have a screw drive Genie in my garage and a Liftmaster 3800 in my store, and after utilizing the Genie for many years and the Liftmaster for approximately a year, there is no path I 'm of all time going to anything besides the Jackshaft pattern. The special room close to the roof would be enough valid reason. The quiet smooth opening would also carry it a no brainer.

The basic fact that setting up it was about as soft a job as anything I have ever done helps too.

Comment

Replacement Operator

Sommer Synoris is an awsome opener, no gears to where out and only one moving part. They have lifetime warranty on everything including the circuit board. The only thing that has a 2 yr warrranty is the remote transmitters, photo eye and the wall station. They are super quiet too, I have one in my shop and love it. If you search for them on the web you should find them. It is one of the few openers out that don't have plastic gears.

Comment

I would have to agree, stick with the Chamberlain

Comment

Working...
              X
              =