Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Genie Screw Drive Opener not working when hot outside.

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genie Screw Drive Opener not working when hot outside.

Hello all. I have an interesting issue. I live in Arizona and the heat is on these days. My opener works fine in the morning when it's relatively cool out side but as it warms up in the afternoon it will not open. I push the button and it comes up about 4" and then stops.

Wait until the sun goes down and it cools off in the evening and it works fine again.

Any suggestions on what may cause something like this to occur?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Check you springs, look and see if you have a broken spring. If not, check the balance of the door. Close the door and pull the emergency release to disconnect the opener from the door. Open and close the door by hand checking for sticking and binding, if the door is balance ok it should stay by it self at the half way point.
    Lube all the hinges, rollers, moving points and joints. Clean and lube the screw drive on the opener with low temp grease, if you don't have that you can use lithium grease.
    You can turn the force dials a couple minutes found under the light cover one dial for up and one for down.
    If the opener is very loud and +10 years old, start saving money for a new opener.

Comment

Thanks for the input.

I've checked and lubed everything and no change. I guess I'll just deal with it until the weather cools off. Opener is only about 5 years old and has been loud since I installed it.

Increasing the force dial showed no improvement.

Comment

Be prepared to replace it. Most likely the motor bushings are bad, no replacement part.
        Did you crank the force settings up to max? Try that as a test, but don't keep operate it like that. As is, what if you pull the emergency release to disconnect the opener from the door and then operate the opener without the door when hot outside, it will still do the same? Can you close the door?

Comment

With the release pulled the motor runs until I push the button again. It does close the door without any issues.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =