Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with the gear part number for garage opener 41A4252-7A

I have 2 garage door openers, both making noises, most likely the gear needs to be replaced. The model of the openers is 41A4252-7A. Can someone help me to find the part number for the gear?

Thanks!
    Last edited by blueking; 12-25-2014, 11:10 AM.

That is the logic board model number.
    If you have a LiftMaster chain drive , early belt drive or newer belt drive

Comment

Squeaking noise from the opener (not the door)

Thank you for the reply. I bought the right part.

I opened up the opener and the gear looked decent, though a little worn after 20 years. The door still opens and closes fine, but it makes loud squeaking noise. I thought the gear was the culprit. So I replaced the main gear but it still makes similar noise (maybe not as loud, but still pretty bad). I put all the grease that came with gear (not much) on the new main gear. I felt the original problem might have been the lack of grease. My question is where the noise comes from? Will it go away if I buy some lithium grease from Home Depot/Lowes and add more to the gears (main and worm gears)?

My other opener makes similar noise, though not as bad.

Thanks!

Comment

The noise seems better this morning. Does this need a settling period, such as the grease gradually evenly distributed? Also, is it possible that the distance between the worm and main gear needs adjustment? I ran the opener with the cover off. It looked working fine. I think the noise is either from the two gears or higher up near the sprocket, but I could not pin point where exactly it is from.

Comment

No adjustment for the worm/main gear and don't pile up a ton of grease on the gears, it will fly all over the place inside the box and onto the logic that then can short out over time. Very rare the gears them self will make any noise, you have 3 bushings inside the box beside the motor bushings, one at the end of the motor shaft, one at the bottom and one of the sprocket/main shaft. It's hard to get any grease to either bushings without taking it all apart, but a drop or two of oil will do fine. If you did see a lot of black stuff in the main gear when you replaced it, that's a sure sign of the bushing at the sprocket is bad and if the shaft is cutting into the metal cap it can make noise. Also the pulley at the wall mount can make noise, but you said it's from the box. There is nothing as a settling period, it's either works(good job) or not(you are screwed) when you put it back together. Just a on a side note, if no grease on the gears the teeth on the main gear will melt of from the friction between the gears.

Comment

Originally posted by TJR View Post
            No adjustment for the worm/main gear and don't pile up a ton of grease on the gears, it will fly all over the place inside the box and onto the logic that then can short out over time. Very rare the gears them self will make any noise, you have 3 bushings inside the box beside the motor bushings, one at the end of the motor shaft, one at the bottom and one of the sprocket/main shaft. It's hard to get any grease to either bushings without taking it all apart, but a drop or two of oil will do fine. If you did see a lot of black stuff in the main gear when you replaced it, that's a sure sign of the bushing at the sprocket is bad and if the shaft is cutting into the metal cap it can make noise. Also the pulley at the wall mount can make noise, but you said it's from the box. There is nothing as a settling period, it's either works(good job) or not(you are screwed) when you put it back together. Just a on a side note, if no grease on the gears the teeth on the main gear will melt of from the friction between the gears.
            Thanks TJR. I am sure the noise is from the opener, not the pulley at the other end of the chain. The funny thing is that the noise almost went away now. But I am almost sure it will come back in the near future for some reason. One more thing, there is loud noise from the opener when I took off the door from the chain (pull the emergency rope to disengage the door from the opener). There was not much black stuff in the main gear. I guess I should replace the whole sprocket kit when the noise comes back next time because I think the other possible noise source is near the sprocket.

Comment

That's why we always replace the whole gear/sprocket assembly when main gear or bushings are bad. Try with a couple drops of oil on the bushings inside the box.

Comment

One last update: I found that the door was not moving very smoothly, which gave more load to the opener. After adding grease to the rollers and some other moving parts, the noise was pretty much gone.

Thanks again for all the help given here!

Comment

Working...
                X
                =