Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wayne Dalton TorqueMaster conversion to Torsion Spring, rod dimensions?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne Dalton TorqueMaster conversion to Torsion Spring, rod dimensions?

Hi All,

I recently ran into an issue trying to install a LiftMaster 8500 on Wayne Dalton TorqueMaster garage door. Can't be done, heh. So, I'm converting the TorqueMaster to a Torsion Spring setup and bought a conversion kit on eBay that contains everything I need except for the 1" bar that spans my 16' wide garage door. My question is, does anyone know what I can use for the rod and where I might get one? I know the O.D is 1" but not sure on the thickness or if it needs to be a solid aluminum bar or what. I can probably find a 1" diameter tubing but again need the wall thickness.

Thanks for any assistance,

Craig

In most cases it should either be 12 or 14 gauge tubing, depending on your door. However if the door is on the heavier side, we prefer to put a solid shaft in when installing an opener like the 8500 that fastens to the shaft. If you get a piece of stock cut instead of a pre- made torsion tube, make sure it is 3" or 4" longer than 16', and not exactly 16'. One of your local door service places probably has one laying around they'd sell or can get it pretty quick.

Comment

Thanks for the information ray07, I found some 11 gauge 1" diameter tubing at a local steel supplier but I will call around the local garage door companies and see if they'll sell me one at a reasonable price.

Comment

A 14 gauge torsion tube will work and if you buy it at your local steel supplier get 17', it's easier to cut than add some. There is no need to get a solid shaft for your door, but yet let me ask what model door is it and what springs did you get for it?

Comment

TJR, it's a Wayne Dalton door, not sure what model it is, it has 4 or 5 panels. I'm sure it's the cheapest one they make because the rest of the quality of my house isn't all that great. It's a 7' x 16' door and I purchased a torsion spring for a 130 lbs door. I'll see if they have any 14 gauge 1" DOM tubing. I'll probably just buy the whole stick, I have the capabilities to cut it and who can't use a piece of tubing for something around the house .

Thanks for the help,

Craig

Comment

If you open the door and look from the outside in you will see some print on the bottom side of the ribs. As you say it's cheap, my guess will be you have a model 9100 either short or long panel with 4 sections.
            If it's a new home and you install an operator yourself, you might void the warranty.

Comment

It is an insulated door and has 4 panels and each panel is 16' wide. It was installed in 2002 so I'm not really concerned with the warranty at this point. I'll have to see what the model is tomorrow morning when I leave for work, see if I can catch a number on the inside.

Comment

That old it probably don't have the print on the ribs. I think it's a 10 year manufacturer warranty, but most new homes has a 1 year builder warranty and that's where you can void the warranty.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =