Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• garage door opener during power failure

My daughter just bought a house with a garage which has an opener. Is there a way to install something on it so it can be opened during a power failure?

The only thing I know to do is to use a UPS (uninterruptable power supply) like you use for a computer. Since the opener doesn't draw power when it isn't being used, the battery should last long enough fo just about any power outage.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Welcome to the forum, bperfetti!

Comment

If she has a separete sevice door she can enter the door and there should be a red handle connected to a rope or cable that's attached to the opener. Pulling down on this handle will disingage the opener from the door. Then she should be able to easily open the garage door manually.

Connecting any type of DC supply to this opener would require not only a transformer to convert the signal from DC to AC, but would also require her to maintain a marine type battery year around, this battery would need to be connected constantly and also require recharging periodically.

Comment

Thanks for your help. I think I saw a red handle on her opener, I'll have to check. She works in a different town than where she lives and wondered how she'll get to work if she can't get her car out of the garage. Something I never thought of! I love this forum site, glad I found it.

Comment

Be careful when pulling that red handle. The door should be counter balanced by the springs, but sometimes it will shoot up faster than you expect. Also keep in mind, you may have to wait for the power to come back on to shut the door again. Pressing the button will make make the opener re-engage the door. push the button a second time to make it lower again, and you should be all set. (until the next power failure)

leone184
          leone184

Comment

Emergency Disconnect

This problem is solved by installing an emergency disconnect on the top section of an overhead style, sectional garage door. It is simply a device that utilized a key that when utilized, pulls out of the door and being attached to the manual disconnect on the garage door operator.

This is a very safe exercise, provided a do-it-yourselfer has not messed with the spring tension and the operator sensitivity settings are not maxxed out. this would be tested in the home inspection if you just bought the house (at least it should be).

Any questions email me.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =