Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• garage door help requested

I recently attempted to open my garage door, but it would not move up. I looked at it and saw that the wire lines on the sides and run up the track that are attached to the cylinders broke off. I have since tried to unhook the garage door from the motor and lift the garage door by hand. It will not budge. I have looked every where I can think of to fix this, but do not see what is sticking or catching. The garage is full and I think that our exchange student may have hit or knocked something off alignment while moving something. Any help is appreciated. I would like to be able to fix this by myself, but will contact a contrator if I am not able to do it.

On the garage door center track there should be a rope hanging down. Pulling on that should release the door from the track. You can then manually open the door.

The "wire lines" on the "cylinders" you mention sound like what you are describing are springs that connected using wire rope. These springs help lighten the load on garage door opener. if they are not connected the garage door opener won't have the power to open the door.
    Code:
    http://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to-repair-a-garage-door.htm

Comment

The wire lines are/have broken from the springs. This is what I need to replace/repair. Can they be repaired or do they need to be replaced. I did disconnect from the center track, but could not lift the door (without the springs is the door extremely heavy?). I could force it up, but was afraid that I would damage it more.
      Thanks for your assistance

Comment

Originally posted by dhawk52 View Post
        The wire lines are/have broken from the springs. This is what I need to replace/repair. Can they be repaired or do they need to be replaced. I did disconnect from the center track, but could not lift the door (without the springs is the door extremely heavy?). I could force it up, but was afraid that I would damage it more.
        Thanks for your assistance
        Being the wires are broken I'd replace them. Home depot should have them as replacement parts or sold by the foot.

I was thinking about my door its aluminum and light if its wood it'll be heavy as heck. You won't damage it just be careful the wire rope doesn't get tangled in the tracks. The link I posted should help you get the job repaired. You'll need to hold the door open while replacing the wire rope. I'd use an A frame ladder to hold it up from the center of the doors bottom and get someone to help.
        good luck.

Comment

Sorry to keep asking questions. I looked at it again and realized that the center spring (singular) also broke. Based on the information in the link that you provided they recommed having a professional complete the repair. At this time I will need to hold off to get this done, my problem is that I would like to be able to open the door manually until I am able to get it fixed (it is a aluminum door) but it will hardly budge (I can lift it only 6 to 12 inches with a solid lift, but not wanting to put my back out). I looked at and semi (as good as my limited knowledge would allow) tested the tracks they seem to be aligned but I do not want to cause further damage. Any help is appreciated in instructing me on how to raise the door and utilize my garage.

Comment

Originally posted by dhawk52 View Post
            Sorry to keep asking questions. I looked at it again and realized that the center spring (singular) also broke. Based on the information in the link that you provided they recommed having a professional complete the repair. At this time I will need to hold off to get this done, my problem is that I would like to be able to open the door manually until I am able to get it fixed (it is a aluminum door) but it will hardly budge (I can lift it only 6 to 12 inches with a solid lift, but not wanting to put my back out). I looked at and semi (as good as my limited knowledge would allow) tested the tracks they seem to be aligned but I do not want to cause further damage. Any help is appreciated in instructing me on how to raise the door and utilize my garage.
            OK, now I see what you have. I have the same type of system. Without the center spring it'll be heavy. The spring assists in the lifting of the door.
            You might be able to help lift the door manually while someone pushes the door remote.

A buddy of mine had his center spring replaced after I showed him that article. Shop around I think he paid about $125.
            No problem asking questions ask away.

Comment

if you broke the wire and also the spring

Your options are limited. I'm assuming that you have a wood door. Without the spring, you don't have a chance of getting the door up, especially if it's for a two-car opening. From your description, the torsion spring itself is broken. Can you replace it yourself? Maybe. But be aware that it's relatively dangerous in the spectrum of home improvement jobs. As an example, I have one of those home repair books that covers fixing everything in your house that I bought years ago. In that whole book, there is only one thing I ever read that said (and I paraphrase) "do not attempt to fix this yourself. call a professional". The problem is that to get it back into working order, you need to wind that spring back up. This is generally done with two steel rods. If you lose your grip while winding the spring up, you can do serious damage to yourself.
              So, my advice would be to call a garage door guy.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =